What's new

Help with Access point / WAN connection etc.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flipper321

New Around Here
Need a little help please.

ADSL in my village is woeful, so I've just got countybroadband (a local WiMax broadband provider) installed:

This means I now have a Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5 installed on my roof. I have no access to the management page for that device (locked down by the provider).

Internally they have installed a Trendnet TEW-733GR. It is set up in Access Point mode, connecting to the external Nanostation via the wan port. I have no control over port forwarding, IP reservation etc although port forwarding I can resolve using uPnP and IP reservation I'll deal with with static IPs.

Now, because my new package is now limited bandwidth I'm trying to tie down where I'm using my bandwidth so want to track per-IP bandwidth usage. I've ordered a cheap router (Tenda N60) capable of running Tomato. I was planning on using one of the IP monitoring mods however I've just realised that it only monitors bandwidth between the LAN and the WAN which means if I set it up in access point mode only I don't think the IP monitoring mode will work.

Can any of the experts here
a) confirm I'm not talking gibberish above and that this all makes sense!
b) Suggest how I could/should set up (if possible) the new router to monitor bandwidth and either connect directly to the external antenna or via the Trendnet that is already installed?

Thanks

Flipper.

Try calling your ISP first.
They may just allow you to install your own router instead of the trendnet.

If that does not work, your next best bet is an inline transparent firewall like Untangle.
Another Distro that works is ClearOS but personally I prefer Untangle.
It will cost you a bit of $ though since you will need an x86 or x64 computer with two NICs.

Third option is to double NAT with any router of your choosing.

Try calling your ISP first.
They may just allow you to install your own router instead of the trendnet.

If that does not work, your next best bet is an inline transparent firewall like Untangle.
Another Distro that works is ClearOS but personally I prefer Untangle.
It will cost you a bit of $ though since you will need an x86 or x64 computer with two NICs.

Third option is to double NAT with any router of your choosing.

Double NAT with the router you are interested in and install Tomato. It will have minimum or no impact on your networks performance assuming the router is up to the task of handling all your requirements.

You can also use ubiquiti or mikrotik as they have seperate traffic statistics. So im guessing you have 2 WAN sources? Both brands i suggested are very good at multiple WANs and complicated setups. Mikrotik can work on layer 2 so it can give you interface stats which is good to know how much bandwidth you've used and lets you configure some firewall and QoS on layer 2 but it is more complicated to setup than tomato.

Contact your ISP and tell them you want to use your own router. Tomato based router should be able to do the job well though but connecting WAN through a switched port is undesirable. Perhaps you're just looking in the wrong place in your router since you want interface stats but it is possible that the OS cannot view switch chip stats.

Double NAT with the router you are interested in and install Tomato. It will have minimum or no impact on your networks performance assuming the router is up to the task of handling all your requirements.
The issue with Double NAT and UPnP is you then need to manually run an application that tells the primary router to open the ports.

The issue with Double NAT and UPnP is you then need to manually run an application that tells the primary router to open the ports.
If the OP wants to run a FTP file server on your LAN or allow remote access to your secondary router they will need port forwarding or UNpP on the primary router. Putting the secondary router in the ISP's routers DMZ might be needed for some services

If all the OP needs is to run bandwidth/ traffic monitoring then a double NATed setup will work fine without adjusting any settings on the ISPs primary router/AP.

Double NAT is where you put one NAT firewall in front of another.

The only two things you would need to do on Your router is set it to a static internal IP on the same range as the ISP router's LAN. The second thing is to make sure the LANs don't conflict. eg. if the ISP LAN is 192.168.1.x/24 make Your router's LAN 192.168.10.x/24

All other change in settings would be on the ISP router. eg. Turn off all firewall features you can find. Enabled DMZ to the static IP you set Your router to. If you can't find DMZ, port forward all the ports you can to Your router's static IP.