What's new

Help with double nat/Static route.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bkz81

Occasional Visitor
Hello all.

My current setup is a FIOS router with 192.168.1.1/24 a the default gateway that goes to the internet. I have a second router setup (ASUS Merlin) with 192.168.1.235/24 as the WAN port with the default gateway as 192.168.1.1. The LAN side of the second router is configured as 192.168.3.1/24. When i turn on NAT on the second router all works fine. My problem and question is isn't having NAT on the second router really unnecessary? I disabled it but now i am trying to figure out how to go about setting up a static route for the 192.168.3.0/24 network. I have tried several static routes but none have worked so far. Hoping i can get some suggestions and or advice, thanks.

That depends on what you trying to accomplish with the second router? There isn't anything wrong with what you are doing (the Double NAT) it can lead to some pain if / when you do things with VPNs and some services but that isn't too common.

I have a similar setup at my house but I am only using the FIOS Modem as my connection to the Internet and since I have TV I can't eliminate their Router so I have my Firewall Hanging off of one of the LAN Ports and that IP Address set as the DMZ IP in the FIOS Router so that all traffic goes to it for VLAN Purposes.

I also don't use the FIOS Provided Wireless, i have my own access points that sit on the inside of my firewall network.

Thanks for the reply. Seems like i will just have to keep it like this then. Seems like the static routes that i was putting in weren't working. I have the second router as a full blown router with a cable connected to the WAN port going to one of the ports on the FIOS router. I disabled the firewall on my second router and use the FIOS firewall.