What's new

Help with ethernet cable wiring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jo76

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm trying to extend my ethernet wall jack from one room to another by cutting an existing ethernet cable and replace the male rj45 connector with a female connector on the cut end. I'm not sure how to wire the female connector. I tried to wire it like a regular female jack, but it doesnt work.
I guess I have to wire it diffenterly when extending a standard ethernet cable. Can any on help with the wiring?

/J

Hi,

I'm trying to extend my ethernet wall jack from one room to another by cutting an existing ethernet cable and replace the male rj45 connector with a female connector on the cut end. I'm not sure how to wire the female connector. I tried to wire it like a regular female jack, but it doesnt work.
I guess I have to wire it diffenterly when extending a standard ethernet cable. Can any on help with the wiring?

/J

I assume you are using a wall jack and one of those "punch down" jacks you can get a Mendard's or Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-Category-5e-Jack-White-10-Pack-5025-WH-10/204410618

If you look at the numbering on the side and it will tell you which pin the wire will map to. Most Ethernet cables need to be straight though:

1 <--> 1
2 <--> 2
8 <--> 8
etc.

For 100 mbps cables the connector 1,2,3, and 6 carry the transmit and receive signals here is some good info at Wikipedia on how the pins work structured cabling and their standards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568

Hi,

/J
The only female connectors I have ever used are the type designed to be snapped into a wall plate. While you can use this type of connector to do what you want you will need to be very careful as there isn't any strain relief designed into this the female plug so movement over time will result in wires breaking or coming loose.

The pinning pattern you should use is T568B which should be marked on the jack itself. It is no longer necessary to use cross over pinning as the devices at either end will adjust accordingly.

A simpler solution would be for you just to buy an in line cable extender which is gadget with a female RJ45 jack on each end. You just plug an off the shelf cable into both ends and you now have a longer cable. You should be able to find a cable extender at most electronic stores.

If you are going to do your own cable terminations invest a few dollars in a basic cable tester which will check continuity and correct/consistent pinning end to end.

Instead of extending it with a female end and then another cable I would either

1. Get a single cable long enough to go right to the device.
2. Get a coupler and put it on the end of your existing male-male cable to do what you want.
Unless you are making another wall jack? But why, unless you move stuff around a lot. Don't need a jack just run a wire right to the device.

We always used 568b for our wiring. If you mix 568a and 568b you end up with a crossover cable.

Purchasing Ethernet cables can be quite expensive and pre-made lengths are not always the length you need. Making Ethernet cables is easy with a box of bulk Category 5e Ethernet cable and RJ-45 connectors that are attached to the cut ends of your preferred cable length.

ethcable568a.gif

Ethernet cables are the standard cable used for almost all purposes. It is highly recommend you duplicate the color order as shown on the left. Note how the green pair is not side-by-side as are all the other pairs. This configuration allows for longer wire runs. You can buy these cables online from various online sites like http://www.bkelectricservices.com/ and many more..:)

The purpose of a Ethernet cable is to directly connect one computer to another computer without going through a router, switch or hub.

Purchasing Ethernet cables can be quite expensive and pre-made lengths are not always the length you need. Making Ethernet cables is easy with a box of bulk Category 5e Ethernet cable and RJ-45 connectors that are attached to the cut ends of your preferred cable length.

ethcable568a.gif

Ethernet cables are the standard cable used for almost all purposes. It is highly recommend you duplicate the color order as shown on the left. Note how the green pair is not side-by-side as are all the other pairs. This configuration allows for longer wire runs. You can buy these cables online from various online sites like http://www.bkelectricservices.com/ and many more..:)

The purpose of a Ethernet cable is to directly connect one computer to another computer without going through a router, switch or hub.
Don't use the wiring scheme shown above. Instead use the 568B as previously recommended. Also get the inexpensive cable tester to insure you have all pairs wired correctly.

Terminating male plugs is tough. If you have many cables to terminate consider spending the money on a Platinum tool and the special jacks they make. Still a pains taking process but in the end you will end up with a correctly terminated cable with a functioning strain relief in less time most all the time.

There are 2 ways of wiring which is crossover and straight through. A straight through has each end connecting to the same number while a crossover has the opposite ends at the same number. They both have their advantages/disadvantages and uses such as in supporting gigabit speeds and long runs. The reason for using the slower one is that it supports serial which some devices require for configuration rather than for networking although both can be used for networking and NICs should support both unless you're using a NIC older than 10 years.

In order to make a reliable termination, it's important to use the right match of cabling and termination.

Cable with a single solid wire for each of the 8 cores is for fixed installation, since it breaks if repeatedly bent. This type should be punched down into a wall socket or keystone socket, which is fixed to the wall or rack and does not move around.

Flex with several twisted strands for each of the 8 cores is designed for patch cords, since it withstands repeated bending much better. It can be difficult to make a reliable connection when punching this type down into a wall socket or keystone socket. It's better to terminate it with a RJ45 plug.

If you have to buy some cable, you will probably want to buy Cat 6, or at least Cat 5e, to avoid recabling in a few years.

you want cat5e as a minimum with solid cores but they actually do bend easily. By solid meaning that the wires are 100% copper and not copper clad iron or similar. The Cat5e standard is important because you wont get gigabit with any lower. If a cable says cat5 it is not cat5e. cat6 is better but is more difficulty to deal with if you are making your own wires and cat6a is even much harder.

metal bends so it wont snap or break however cat6a is much thicker that it can break because even the insulation is much thicker.