What's new

Help with OpenVPN On Netgear Router behind LTE modem/router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RescueRouter

New Around Here
I’ve scoured forums looking for help with my current issue. For the past few days, I’ve been trying to get a OpenVPN host running on my Netgear router to remotely connect to my home network. The router is connected to the Lan1 port of an LTE modem/router which didn’t have a bridge mode. I assigned the Netgear a static IP from the config page of the LTE modem/router. On the Netgear side, I set up DDNS with Netgear/No-IP, and set up OpenVPN. Back in the LTE router’s configuration, I tried to forward the ports OpenVPN but no luck: OpenVPN attempts would time out, I couldn’t ping the domain name, and according to No-IP, they weren’t receiving updates from the Netgear router.

I read about double (probably triple in this case) NAT causing DDNS problems so I put the Netgear’s static IP in the DMZ of the LTE modem/router thinking it could handle the World Wide Web like a big boy. Then I setup the DDNS again through the Netgear’s configuration page. Now the IP address is updating through No-IP so that when I reboot both routers, No-IP reports the updated public IP. NSlookup for the DDNS domain returns the public IP. I ensured the UDP ports OpenVPN uses were set to forward from the LTE router to the Netgear. So far so good until I tried OpenVPN with the new config files, which still times out.

Anyone have any suggestions? Canyouseeme.org and No-IPs port checks both report timeouts on the 3 ports I am trying to forward to the Netflix router and EVERY other port that I’ve tried. Through the same LTE connection, I am able to use VPNs like HMA if that provides any insight.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!