What's new

Help with remote access to DD-WRT router and NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdzo72

Occasional Visitor
The title says it all, I can't connect to my equipment from outside my local network. I can connect perfectly while connected though.

I have a cable internet connection with VoIP from my ISP which is an Arris Motorola SVG6582 that I can access the GUI locally if I need to make adjustments.
view

My main router is a Linksys EA6200 that I have no issue accessing remotely probably because of the Smart WiFi firmware that it's running. I also have the ports forwarded on the EA6200 which I think is right, but obviously something is not right.
view

Behind the main router I have a LinksysE3000 running DD-WRT and I have Remote Management enabled on it with https.
view

I have it setup as a wired access point and have the option to enable WAN so as to connect the ethernet from the Linksys EA6200 to the WAN port and leave the other 4 ports available where I have it installed. I set it up according to the following setup guide.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Same as the bridged routerI have no troubles connecting to my NAS from with the local network whether it be via Samba share or ftp from the browser. But when I try to gain access externally, my browser will hang for a little while like it's trying to communicate but then eventually comes up with an error timed out.

I'm hoping I just have something configured ncorrectly or haven't configured something. But I've been struggling with this for over a month now and have yet to find a solution so I have finally come here to the experts.

Thanks ahead of time for any input guys.

it sounds like the network isnt correctly connected. IF you connect using the WAN port on LAN disable the internet on it and assign it to the switch. It seems that you are performing NAT with the access point.

it sounds like the network isnt correctly connected. IF you connect using the WAN port on LAN disable the internet on it and assign it to the switch. It seems that you are performing NAT with the access point.

Thanks for the reply System Error Message, but I think I already have that done seeing as in the Basic Setup of the E3000 (the router behind the EA6200) I have the Connection Type set as "Disabled", if that's not what you mean I don't how else to "disable the internet on it"... DHCP is disabled so it's not handing out local IPs, DNSMasq and all that is disabled per the guide link I posted. I do have the Gateway DNS pointed to the EA6200's 192.168.1.1 local IP. I also have the box checked that says "Assign WAN Port to Switch" so that I may use that WAN port (that's where the ethernet cable from the EA6200 is connected). The other devices that I'm getting internet to are connected to the other 4 LAN ports on the E3000. Under the Advanced Routing tab I also have the Operating Mode set as "Router" instead of "Gateway".

Any thoughts about why I'm not able to connect to the NAS that's connected to the EA6200 which is my main router?

Do a layer 2 test, see if you can see the NAS or SAMBA share on the network browser. Another layer 2 test would be DLNA.
Im not familiar with dd-wrt but i remember for openwrt you would have to configure the firewall and set zones and making sure that it is in the LAN zone and not WAN (it could be both at the same time). This means that the firewall shouldnt be filtering so make sure to check that.

If layer 2 works but you're still having issues but your setup is correct than it would mean firewall problem but do try test with the cable connected to the LAN port and not WAN port and see if it changes.

Do a layer 2 test, see if you can see the NAS or SAMBA share on the network browser. Another layer 2 test would be DLNA.
Im not familiar with dd-wrt but i remember for openwrt you would have to configure the firewall and set zones and making sure that it is in the LAN zone and not WAN (it could be both at the same time). This means that the firewall shouldnt be filtering so make sure to check that.

If layer 2 works but you're still having issues but your setup is correct than it would mean firewall problem but do try test with the cable connected to the LAN port and not WAN port and see if it changes.
Once again thanks for the reply!

Yes, I have no issues connecting to the NAS locally via Windows Explorer Samba or gaining access via ftp from the browser as long as I'm connected to the local network.

Tried changing the ethernet cable just now to one nod the LAN ports with and without the WAN switch option checked and neither resulted in a successful attempt to connect from external [emoji20]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk