What's new

Help with wifi network and repeater in my house with magical wifi blocking walls.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

overdrive

New Around Here
I live in a home built in 1970. The walls are basically cement over chicken wire making a faraday cage so I get pretty weak signal throughout my house.

The modem and router is in one corner of the house ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router and I put a repeater in the other corner of the house TP-LINK TL-WA801ND .

Here is the problem: When you come into the house you connect to the closest / strongest router. When you go a few rooms over, you are still connected to it even though the signal is barely present and there is a stronger signal available. So I have to cycle wifi on my phone to connect to the closest signal.

How do I change this? Did I set up the network wrong? Is there something I should buy / replace?

Thanks for the help!

There's an option under Wireless Professional to force disconnects if RSSI falls below a certain threshold.