Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

High Powered Router + AP (Engenius vs Ubiquiti)

Discussion in 'Wireless Buying Advice' started by nicksti, Jan 22, 2013.

1. nicksti

nicksti New Around Here

Jan 22, 2013
    I am looking to set up a free hotspot inside a building with an open plan but has an L shaped corridor with 5 more offices in an open plan.

Hotspot (Captive Portal) requirements:
    1. Open
    2. Splash page with logos and EULA
    3. Bandwidth management

Network requirements:
    1. Support multiple wireless devices (phones, tablets, laptops)
    2. 50 to 75 concurrent connections

First question about the router is do I need to pair the AP with the Router in order to get the best results? Engenius (it may be marketing spin) advertises 4X more range if you use their stuff.

I see lots of people like the Asus RT-N66U. Should I just go with that?

Finally Engenius vs Ubiquiti AP? The one con for me with Ubi is the non-standard PoE. I need a quick solution that leads to a more permanent solution and running a POE switch to the Engenius sounds more elegant. But ppl sure seem to love the Ubi APs
  2. squigish

squigish New Around Here

Jul 9, 2012
    Your decision might be an easy one. According to the SNB review, the Ubiquiti doesn't support captive portal.
  3. nicksti

nicksti New Around Here

Jan 22, 2013
    I went ahead and ordered 2 UniFi APs and will use the UniFi Controller to manage the hotspots.

I will run cable from a central office to each AP. Job done, right? Or am I missing something?