What's new

High RAM usage AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BamaInArk

Occasional Visitor
Been running this RT-AC86U for a little over a month now. 1st thing I did was to load Merlin firmware which seems to be running fine. A short while back(maybe a week or so) when I logged on I noticed the RAM usage was way high. Like at 94 to 95% usage. I rebooted the router and the memory usage went down to around 50%.
So today I thought about checking it again and the RAM usage is again back up around the 95% level. A reboot takes it back down to normal.

So I am curious is this normal or might something else be causing the RAM usage to get so high? Currently on the latest Merlin.....384.13. Not running anything special. No VPN. No servers. I am using the USB 3.0 port with a Flash drive for file storage.

Been running this RT-AC86U for a little over a month now. 1st thing I did was to load Merlin firmware which seems to be running fine. A short while back(maybe a week or so) when I logged on I noticed the RAM usage was way high. Like at 94 to 95% usage. I rebooted the router and the memory usage went down to around 50%.
So today I thought about checking it again and the RAM usage is again back up around the 95% level. A reboot takes it back down to normal.

So I am curious is this normal or might something else be causing the RAM usage to get so high? Currently on the latest Merlin.....384.13. Not running anything special. No VPN. No servers. I am using the USB 3.0 port with a Flash drive for file storage.
Here is the standard reply to this frequently asked question. It is not "used", it is "cached" to make using it faster and easier when needed. Welcome to the magic of Linux.
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

If using AiProtection, disable it (Administration\Privacy\Withdraw) and then see how the memory behaves.

OE

USB will take your RAM, usually no problem.
Latest Merlin is 384.14 where he added high RAM NVRAM warning (possibly when you should do a reboot).

Last edited:
Here is the standard reply to this frequently asked question. It is not "used", it is "cached" to make using it faster and easier when needed. Welcome to the magic of Linux.
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/
Well that one certainly seems more plausible however I am a little skeptical since I also run an ASUS RT-AC66_B1, also running Merlin, as an AP that does not demonstrate the same memory usage. Matter of fact it runs around 25% usage. I realize different hardware and all plus running as an AP vs Router might have some different memory usage requirements.

USB will take your RAM, usually no problem.
Latest Merlin is 384.14 where he added high RAM warning (possibly when you should do a reboot).
I can't seem to find where he mentions the high RAM usage in 384.14. Perhaps it's not in an obvious location? I just updated both my routers with this firmware.

I can't seem to find where he mentions the high RAM usage in 384.14. Perhaps it's not in an obvious location? I just updated both my routers with this firmware.
It was high NVRAM, which is different.

Well that one certainly seems more plausible however I am a little skeptical since I also run an ASUS RT-AC66_B1, also running Merlin, as an AP that does not demonstrate the same memory usage. Matter of fact it runs around 25% usage. I realize different hardware and all plus running as an AP vs Router might have some different memory usage requirements.
RMerlin explained that HND routers with Broadcom use more RAM. A search for "ram usage broadcom" by RMerlin will give you a couple pages of results.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/high-ram-usage-rt-ac86u.50070/#post-445889
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-ram-usage-how-much-is-normal.60349/page-2#post-529459
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-119#post-476066

Might be time to add high RAM warning too.

This warning will be displayed constantly on RT-AC86U. There are a lot of firmware components competing for RAM and the situation gets to a point where the router has to be restarted in order to continue working properly, at least in next few days. No TrendMicro components active and no USB storage is the only working solution I found on my RT-AC86U. This way the router can just go forever, smooth and fast.

This warning will be displayed constantly on RT-AC86U. There are a lot of firmware components competing for RAM and the situation gets to a point where the router has to be restarted in order to continue working properly, at least in next few days. No TrendMicro components active and no USB storage is the only working solution I found on my RT-AC86U. This way the router can just go forever, smooth and fast.

So is this a function of the Merlin firmware of simply the hardware itself? I'm going to keep monitoring my situation here. I liked the idea/convenience of a USB connected, flash drive in my case, storage. Might have to rethink that option however. I am monitoring the memory usage since I updated the 86U last night. I'm only up to 55% at the moment. Less than 24 hours since last reboot. But I have not accessed the USB connected storage lately. I wonder if that may drive up the memory usage due to caching especially if writing to the USB device?

As someone mentioned above I am not using AICloud.

So is this a function of the Merlin firmware of simply the hardware itself?

It’s Asuswrt with all the closed source components + TrendMicro software using more and more RAM over time + memory leaks (some fixed in later firmware releases). What Merlin added to it is working properly.

Less than 24 hours since last reboot. But I have not accessed the USB connected storage lately.

You can use your USB storage, no problem, just don’t expect it to be a NAS replacement. Once you start pushing big volumes of data and often then the problem starts showing up and requires your attention.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!