What's new

Higher Power Now Allowed For 5 GHz Wi-Fi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

virtually all the regulatory tech. work at the FCC is done by consultants who are buddies.
esp. the ISM bands.

FCC should have done this years ago. This is what happens when you hire wrong people for the job and pay them too much money. Bureaucracy at its best.

I've seen first hand how government works at the bottom level. The employees do bare minimum that is required of them, collect a pay check and go home. Because they have a job security. 90% of the same people would get fired after few month in private sector.

That is not my experience at all. Oh...I know bad apples. I also know bad apples in the private sector too. I do happen to know some agencies were "government workers" tend to be more endemic. However, the issue is often one of three things.

Congress tying the hands of an agency (IE running an agency through legislation, instead of passing legislation and allowing the executive branch to execute it).

Congress providing poor budgets (suprise suprise, when you don't have enough money, you can't get things done. Especially if you look at the former. Congress legislates that an agency must do X, but doesn't provide enough money to do X and/or provides just enough money to do X, but not enough for the agency to do all of the other work it is supposed to do).

Contracting system. Maybe you'd be suprised (or not), but contractors often earn around 2-3x as much as a gov't employee (or at least their contracting company gets paid 2-3x as much per contractor as a gov't employee costs, with them soaking up a fair amount of that before the contractor gets paid). Then you have incentives to draw out the contract/contracting process...because most of the time contracts are cost+ contracts. So if it takes the contracting company longer to do something or they can inflate the scope, they get paid more. You also have the issue where a lot of times for an agency, an entire department are contractors and all you have on the agency side of things are contract managers. That was a big issue with the health care website. The entire CMS team were contract managers, all of the work (CMS work, not some of the other agencies that contributed work) was done by contractors, many, many contractors and contracting companies. The contract managers have little actual IT experience, they have contract management experience. However, with the current setup, they cannot in-house the IT experience to do the work themselves.

Sometimes it is just agency/bureaucratic bloat/incompetence. Most of the time it isn't.

Most gov't employees of various agencies I know want to do a good job and want to serve the public. A lot of times we can't and have no power over it.

Actually I'll add a 4th issue, sometimes it is politics from "on high" from political appointees within the agency. Either from the current administration or worse, a hold over from a previous administration. A lot of bright eyed MBAs who helped on a campaign and know absolutely nothing about the agency work they are involved in...but they are a middle/upper manager now. I mean, yay, you have an MBA and precisely zero experience in Education, or Tax administration or Homeland Security or whatever...but you'll singlehandedly turn the agency around by not listening to the 200 employees who report to you with several millenia of collective experience.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!