What's new

Home network from scratch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xck3001

New Around Here
Hi,

we're building a new construction home and I plan to put in some networking components right from the start. It would be awesome if you could validate my current plan, and if you have suggestions about extensions or modifications I'd appreciate any input.

The home we're building has 4 bedrooms on 2 stories plus a basement. We'll likely use a Comcast internet plan.
The current cabling plans are:

• Prewire 7 locations (4 bedroom, 2 den/bonus, 1 family room) with Cat5E ethernet - I wanted Cat6 but the builder won't move on that one
  • All ethernet cables will terminate in the basement.
  • Just a side note, we're only putting 2 coax prewires in because I plan to use ethernet streaming for all TVs except one central streaming server (Tivo or similar)
  • For wifi coverage, I plan to put one PoE powered AP on the ceiling of the 2nd floor, in a walk in closet pretty central in the house. The builder will put a PVC pipe from basement to attic so that hopefully will be a pretty easy job.

For devices the following is planned:
  • Tripp Lite SRW9U 19" 9U short-depth rack in basement
  • Rackmount media server in Norco RPC-430 case. The server's internals I already have, that's a Xeon E1240v2 with 16GB RAM. A bit overpowered but I had the components anyway, and besides streaming server I'm using it as file server, torrent client, vmWare host and other things, so a little speed doesn't hurt. It has a Supermicro board with two Gbit/s ethernet onboard (=IPMI), which I load balance via LACP to 2 Gbit/s using Windows 8 & Intel driver teaming.
  • TP-LINK TL-SG3216 16-port Gbit managed switch
  • Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite for WAN
  • Ubiquiti UniFi AP
  • A couple of additional rackmount items, like a power strip and shelves to hold modem and router. Also a small UPS, it doesn't hold longer than a few minutes but at least the server can shutdown gracefully if needed.

A couple of things I'm not yet certain about. For example, if the one UniFi AP can give good signal in the basement. Maybe to get the LR version? Does it even make sense to get non-AC wifi today? Or if I'm underestimating the EdgeRouter's complexity - I know my way around in Linux and the network basics, but it might be a tough cookie. I've considered a Cisco RV042G instead, but want to give the Ubiquiti a try first. I'm open for suggestions. Also, I'm still looking for useful or interesting (semi-useful ;)) extensions.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on the new house plans and the foresight to wire the place :)

Use multiple UniFi AP's rather than one big one!
Remember that portable devices like smartphones and tablets have weak transmitters. They might hear the WiFi AP from the attic but cant talk back. Its better to spread out multiple WiFi Ap's and lower the power level. Using the 5Ghz band will help to "contain" the signal to a limited area while providing a high speed connection.
Not knowing the layout of your new house I am guessing 4 UniFi AP's. Get the Pro. Skip the AC version.
Don't forget to instal an outdoor WiFi AP to cover the garden / outdoor recreation area. Many people want to play their Sonos system outdoors. Your family wants portable devices like iPhones and iPads to have a fast internet access while lounging in the back yard.

Push back hard on the builder get Cat6, and make sure he uses top quality shielded cable.
Before you know it they yank some cheap multi stranded cable trough the walls. Have them test the wiring and put it on paper!
If he doesn't want to do it, hire your own network guy and have him test the wiring before the walls are closed.
I recently encountered a house where 2 wires were damaged and will remain useless.

At the very least get the Cat6 to the area's where speed really matters, like the entertainment area where you will be streaming movies / music and play X-box games.

Unless you need dual wan or want to do fancy stuff I have been very happy with the Cisco RV180 router.

Also don't forget to run ethernet cable for VOIP Phones to all bedrooms and offices...

Last edited:
Nice rack, only two shortcomings I can think of, it will fit flush against the wall, any fan cooled devices that are new blow front to back, the hot air needs someplace to go.
The other, you have a basement or cellar in Florida ?, I thought that was illegal or something once you got below the South Carolina line :D
I also recommend you double your cabling, where you want one put two, two four, four go six. I would also pass on cat5e.