What's new

Home Network Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gmalik

New Around Here
Guys,

I am trying to setup a small home network for my home theatre - nothing large.

Basically I don't have the option of adding or changing cables being a leased house. The setup is a cable modem connected to a wifi router which connects via CAT5 cables to various rooms.

In the living room, I have only one connection point which is currently used to connect an IPTV (no decent non Chinese satellite option in China :-( ). I will be adding my home theatre to the same TV. I use a NAS to stream movies to the HT - need HD streaming.

The house came with an TP-Link router (Wireless G) which I will replace with either an RT-N66U or EA4500 and plan to reuse in bridge mode to provide more LAN ports near the TV.

Other than the NAS, we just have 2 iPads, 2 iPhones and a laptop connecting. Accessing anything outside China is pathetically slow even with VPN so I suspect we will not be using any Netflix while here.

The questions I have are -
1. Given the limited use above, is it worth spending the extra money on the RT-N66U?
2. Would using the old TP-link in bridge mode allow HD stream from the NAS to the HT?
3. I can either place the NAS in the utility closet with the modem or with the HT connected to the old TP-link. What would be advisable as the NAS will also be connected to Internet for torrents etc.

Appreciate all guidance.

Cheers

with wireless G probably not. Wireless N would be preferred for wireless streaming. If you can run cables around that would be better if you dont mind having a visible cable.

It also depends on where you expect traffic to come from. If you are torrenting and there are many seeds in china than it is worth getting the n66u for example.

Thanks. I should have clarified - I am planning to make the old router a wired only bridge, wireless will definitely not work in G-mode....the problem is that the router sits in a utility room closet and there is only one wired connection available in the living rooms...running wires directly from the utility closet is just not possible even if I ignore the issue of visible cables....

Last edited:
perhaps you mean Access Point, not "bridge".

Common routers can't be re-purposed as a bridge.

If you want a WiFi client bridge - where the bridge is a client of the WiFi coverage, and produces ethernet LAN connection(s), then it's a bridge, not an AP.

Perhaps a few WiFi routers have a bridge mode.

you may be correct...I know the basics but not really the intricacies of the networking, so please pardon the wrong terminology....

what I am trying to do is convert the single wired connection point in the living room into multiple ones to connect the IPTV, HT and possible NAS....

The ideal solution I understand is a switch but I wanted to see if I could use the old router in a bridge/switch mode..

gmalik, you just want to do something like connect the NAS to the router in the utility closet and then connect the n66u, etc to the run leading to the livingroom, then various wired/wireless devices directly to that? it would be easy enough, just set the n66u to 'AP mode' when you install it. You wont have problems streaming from the NAS in this configuration.

I don't think you'd benefit from switching out the old router with a new unless you intend on getting a fat internet connection

I have upgraded the net connection from an ADSL to a 100 MBps fiber which the old router is not able to handle so the need to change the router....

I want to switch out the old router with the new so that the new one is doing the routing as well as wireless AP....then use the old router in the living room in a no wifi/wired only mode to connect the 2-3 devices needing wired connection to the only wired connection point which is connected to the utility closet through a wire running within the walls....

to explain better I am attaching a small network diagram....

the question for me is - is it okay to use the old router as it is positioned or should I replace it with a switch.....if okay how should I configure it for max performance - disable NAT, DHCP?....

Attachments

• Network1.jpg
    Network1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 513
the question for me is - is it okay to use the old router as it is positioned or should I replace it with a switch.....if okay how should I configure it for max performance - disable NAT, DHCP?....
Yes you can. Very, very easily. Shut off DHCP and use only the LAN ports--instant switch.

I use several old AT&T dsl/routers this way as switches where I need them. Work great!

A question to ask is the TP Link router gig or 100 meg ports. With a video system gig would be better to and from one device to another. Five port gig switches are pretty cheap.
I would also run a gig switch in the utility closet to drive all the different room ports. Run everthing wired which does not move and save your wireless bandwidth for your moveable devices.

A question to ask is the TP Link router gig or 100 meg ports. With a video system gig would be better to and from one device to another. Five port gig switches are pretty cheap.
I would also run a gig switch in the utility closet to drive all the different room ports. Run everthing wired which does not move and save your wireless bandwidth for your moveable devices.
Good points--especially the one about running everything wired that doesn't move. Reserve wireless hassles for devices that move.