What's new

Home network update - advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

boardlord

New Around Here
Hi guys! Long time lurker here :) I just got a very sweet deal for 1Gbit internet access. Problem is that my Netgear R7000 (on Toastman's Tomato) does not have the muscle to push 1 Gbit without enabling CTF. But, with CTF I lose a lot of features... So I thought that I'd buy an Edgerouter Lite, and my home network will look something like this:
Edgerouter: WAN, DHCP, dynamic DNS, set DNS server address, firewall - in short, all the "router" things
R7000: serving ONLY as a dumb wireless/wired access point. No routing, no firewall etc.

All wired and wireless devices will connect to the R7000. My own wireless and wired devices will be on 192.168.2.1, and the guest wifi devices will be on 192.168.3.1

Is the above plan feasible(as in the Edgerouter will handle ALL routing tasks, and the role of the R7000 is serving wifi and provide LAN ports for wired devices). Thanks for the help!!

Some might claim otherwise, but I don't think and ER-L is going to get much further than where the R7000 is - the ER-L does have more flexibility on feature sets, but I think some of the advertising claims might be pushing things...

ER-L is a very nice wired router - also consider the hEX from Microtik - similar in many ways, but a different perspective on software...

Some might claim otherwise, but I don't think and ER-L is going to get much further than where the R7000 is - the ER-L does have more flexibility on feature sets, but I think some of the advertising claims might be pushing things...

ER-L is a very nice wired router - also consider the hEX from Microtik - similar in many ways, but a different perspective on software...

Thanks for your thoughts! I'm still in the research phase, the only thing that is for sure is that I want my R7000 to be the wired/wireless access point, and have the (not yet purchased) new wired router do all the heavy lifting. I mentioned ER-L because I heard good things about it (very good price-performance ratio, good support, good UI), but this isn't set in stone, I'm open to suggestions of course.

The most important thing for me is to know definitely, whether or not the scenario I sketched out in the OP is possible - fully dumb R7000 providing wired an wireless network access, ER-L or other wired router handling ALL routing tasks.

WAN -->ER-L or other wired router --> R7000 dumb AP --> LAN and wifi on 1 subnet, guest wifi on separate subnet

Edit: typos

Edit2: Doing more thinking... Maybe I'll just buy a NUC-like miniPC with 2 Intel Gbit LAN ports instead of the ER-L, and put pfSense on it... Would this be a better alternative?

Last edited: