What's new

Homeplug AV / AV2 interoperability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andrew17856

New Around Here
Hi. I know that the various Homeplug standards are designed to be interoperable, but I haven't found an answer to the specific question of what speeds devices will communicate at when simultaneously plugged in.

Question 1:

Let's assume the following set up:

3 x 750MBps SISO AV2 adapters
1 x 500MBps SISO AV2 adapters

I know that the adapters will fall back to the 500MBps profile when talking to the slower device. However, will the 750MBps adapters talk to each other at 750MBps speeds when there's no traffic to the slower device (though turned on), or will *all* the adapters permanently be running on the 500MBps profile?

Question 2:

Let's modify the set up as below:

3 x 750MBps SISO AV2 adapters
1 x 500MBps SISO AV2 adapters
1 x 500MBps AV500 (i.e. AV not AV2) adapter

Does the presence of the AV1 adapter mean that all the adapters will permanently fall back to AV500 speeds? Alternatively, will the speeds only fall back to the AV500 speeds when there's traffic to that particular adapter?

Thank you.

reading the spec - older homeplugs may affect things when the legacy device is active... when it is idle, the non-legacy devices should operate at their specified rating...

First, AV and AV2 can coexist, but not interoperate. And since AV uses part of the frequency band used by AV2, AV activity will slow AV2 devices.

As to throughput effect, think of it like Wi-Fi, slowest ACTIVE device determines the total bandwidth available. So faster devices will be slowed only when slower devices are active.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!