What's new

HomePlug: different networks in same house?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrQQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

two questions:

a) is it possible to have two separate networks in the same house using homeplug?
b) if so, does it hurt performance?

I have my WAN antenna at the roof and no lan cable going downwards. Atm there is a router at the antena, and its LAN port is connected to one HomePlug device, so whole house is being connected to routers LAN port:

Antenna <-> Router[LAN1] <-> HomePlug <-> .... other devices

What I want to do instead is this:

Antenna <-> HomePlugNetwork1 <-> Router downstairs <-> HomePlugNetwork2 <-> .... other devices

Would this work, and does someone perhaps know how to set it up?

Thank you.

All homeplug adapters share the same frequency space, so share bandwidth, whether you have them on VLANS or not.

The easy way to keep adapters from connecting to each other is to set different security keys for each pair. Only adapters with the same key will connect.

But all adapters will still share the same bandwidth, with slower adapters slowing down faster ones. Much like Wi-Fi works.

Hm,

this: http://www.tp-link.us/faq-258.html

says that it should be done by "network name". It also talks about passwords, but you can only set a password for a remote device. So if I connect via A, then it does not allow me to enter password for A, only for B and C. So if I enter password for B, but not for C, what happens? Do I also need to go to B and enter password of A, or how does that work? This is confusing.

All you need to do is follow the pairing sequence you linked to, for each pair of adapters. Those pairs will then communicate.

What if it's 4 adapters? Enter password to 2-4 on #1, or 2-4 on #1; 1, 3, 4 on #2 etc?

What if it's 4 adapters? Enter password to 2-4 on #1, or 2-4 on #1; 1, 3, 4 on #2 etc?
you can ether use the pairing method or just access adapter in turn and use the supplied utility ( or download from the manufactures web site ) and set the private network name on all the adapters the same

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!