What's new

Honeywell Thermostats dropping connect to ASUS RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Southernclipper

New Around Here
I just replaced my Netgear Router with the ASUS RT-AC88U. Its only being up and running a few days. I first updated to the latest Firmware 3941 and then did the 30-30-30 before making any manual changes. Everything seems to be working great. I selected wireless channels for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The issue I have is that I have two honeywell thermostats RTH9580WF1005 in the house that connect to 2.4GHz wireless and its appears after a few hours or a day one will lose connection to the ASUS Router. Both randomly dis-appear and when I tried disconnecting and reconnecting to the ASUS but it will not let it connect back to the router. I assigned a static IP address and it still does it. The only to way to get them to reconnect is reboot the router. They were connected to my Netgear for 15 months and never had an disconnect issue. I not sure if their is a setting on the router to keep them from losing connection to the router. Any ideals? BTW love the router and interface. Thanks in Advance

Dont work with Asuswrt or Merlin fw.If you want to wipe everything by clearing the nvram..

Clear Nvram :
Power off the router
Hold down WPS button and power on the router, and keep holding WPS til leds flash rapidly(10 sec approx) and release WPs button.Wait 5 min and reconfig, dont import settings

Thanks, I did it again by your instructions and one of the thermostat lose connection after an hour already..

Hi, I am having the same Issues, I went from a Netgear to an Asus RRT-AC88U and now I am not able to connect my iPhone or iPad with the Lyric application, I never had issues with the Netgear.
Where you able to solve your issues?
What are the steps?
Thank you
Mario

I'm also seeing major issues with smart devices but this time with iDevices smart home products (switches) on the AC88u both in terms of pairing to the WiFi (2.4) and also in terms of keeping the connect alive to them. This absolutely is leaning towards problems with the products but not ruling out something with the router too. Multicast is set to forward across the network to ensure Bonjour and related traffic is not touched. I also have an AC3100 with 2.4 band setup (separate from the Ac88u) as an AP to hit. Seeing the same issues on it. The issues appear to have gotten worse since latest releases of both the smart device FW and the Asus FW. Very strange and hope that we are all able to see some kind of resolution to these connectivity issues soon whether that be through updates to the devices or the routers. Wondering if changes to HomeKit (on the iOS side of things of course) is causing some issues here.

Southernclipper, I also have a Honeywell wifi thermostat and it has been working quite well for a few years now. One thing that I remember from the installation is that there is a section in the user manual that mentions what you need to do to the thermostat if you change routers. I'm not saying that I have a specific answer for you, but if you read that section in the manual, you might find something helpful there.

Southernclipper, I also have a Honeywell wifi thermostat and it has been working quite well for a few years now. One thing that I remember from the installation is that there is a section in the user manual that mentions what you need to do to the thermostat if you change routers. I'm not saying that I have a specific answer for you, but if you read that section in the manual, you might find something helpful there.

Hi:
I disable smart connect last night and still no WiFi in my iPhone or iPad, I enable smart connect again and noticed no change, this morning when I wake up, all was working again, now I have the Honeywell application, Lyric, and apple Home Kit working great. I am not bale to explain why or how it stop and why it got corrected but I think I haven't seen the end of this issue, I will post if I learn anything new.
Thank you
Mario

First thing I would look at is the channel used. For the 5 GHz band for instance, using a DFS channel in some countries might cause connection stability issues, as the router might be forced to vacate the channel it's currently using.

For troubleshooting purposes, start with channel 1 (2.4 GHz) and 36 (5 GHz), see how it works out. From there, work your way up, using a monitoring tool such as Wifi Analyzer to pick a less crowded channel if necessary, avoiding channels 12-14, and avoiding DFS channels on the 5 GHz band.

I have no issues with my Honeywell RTH6500 connecting to WiFi.

I have had it connected to an AC1900 running stock firmware and It is now connected to the latest Merlin firmware running on a N66.

First thing I would look at is the channel used. For the 5 GHz band for instance, using a DFS channel in some countries might cause connection stability issues, as the router might be forced to vacate the channel it's currently using.

For troubleshooting purposes, start with channel 1 (2.4 GHz) and 36 (5 GHz), see how it works out. From there, work your way up, using a monitoring tool such as Wifi Analyzer to pick a less crowded channel if necessary, avoiding channels 12-14, and avoiding DFS channels on the 5 GHz band.

Thank you for your reply, next time it disappears, I will troubleshoot.
Thanks
Mario

Thank you all for your replies, I will post if I have any new issues or solutions with the thermostat. Thanks

I too have an AC88U and a Honeywell WIFI thermostat. Also experienced consistent connection drops and could not get the connection re-established easily. Sometimes had to wait till the next day before it would work again.
What I did to troubleshoot/solve the problem was to create a Guest 2.4Ghz connection, and only have the thermostat connect to it (password protected of course). It's been almost a month without a loss of connectivity.

Disable Turbo/Nitro QAM on the 2.4GHz side...

Some clients will have problems with this as Turbo/Nitro are out of spec/standards...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!