What's new

*Hopefully* Couple easy questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adampk17

Asus RT-AC3200 running 380.65

I'm running a pretty basic config I think. No VPN server, no custom scripts, Smart Control is turned off on all three radios. As advanced as I get is a small handful of reserved IP addresses, a DDNS entry, IPv6 is turned on (Comcast is my ISP), and 4 port forwarding entries.

Lately, after a recent firmware update, I am seeing a flashing exclamation point on the main page that gives me the following warning:

Your router is running low on free NVRAM, which might affect its stability. Review nvram-intensive setting such as OpenVPN, or consider doing a factory default reset and reconfiguring.

When I check NVRAM it is 63,271/65536 bytes​

Now, I admit, it's been probably been years since I have done a factory reset and reconfigure because, well, it's a mild PITA. If that's what I need to do then so be it and you can tell me to STFU and stop whining ;). But I though I'd ask her first to see if there any other contributing factors I may not be aware of.

Also, as a completely unrelated question. On the Network map tab, if I click the View List button, I will almost always see devices that are shown by the router to be using a wired interface when they are wireless devices. Just a cosmetic bug or is there something I can do to correct this?

Thanks!

To prevent a crash, you best do that long overdue reset of your router.
After so many years and without any resets, this is to be expected. Your Nvram likely contains old and no longer used entries. The may even harm your router.

To prevent a crash, you best do that long overdue reset of your router.
After so many years and without any resets, this is to be expected. Your Nvram likely contains old and no longer used entries. The may even harm your router.

Harm my router? Surely you jest. No?

Harm my router? Surely you jest. No?
They eat it from the inside out. This might go as far as that only the outer shell remains.

The RT-AC3200 is really starved for nvram due to the 3 radios, each one's settings using a big chunk of it. I have been in the same situation. One thing I observed is that if you ever before experimented with functions that you no longer use (i.e QoS, samba, vpn... ) the settings for those are well saved in NVRAM and eating the available space. This is why if you reset and reconfigure from scratch you will regain it.

The RT-AC3200 is really starved for nvram due to the 3 radios, each one's settings using a big chunk of it. I have been in the same situation. One thing I observed is that if you ever before experimented with functions that you no longer use (i.e QoS, samba, vpn... ) the settings for those are well saved in NVRAM and eating the available space. This is why if you reset and reconfigure from scratch you will regain it.

Thank you for the tips. I played around with OpenVPN a while back, got it working, never used it, so I shut it off. Sounds like that adventure is probably coming back to annoy me.