What's new

Hotspot mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shooter40sw

Hi guys quick question, I have not have time to check this out or search myself, but these routers are powerful and full of features, Can I setup a RT66U in hotspot mode, like those travel routers? that work like routers but instead of having the physical connection to the WAN they just connect wireless to another router, I dont care about double nat I just want my router to work and have my devices connect to my router instead of the hotel network, but I want the full functions of the router itself., I hope I explained myself.
BTW there is a dlink 505 travel router that does this...
Thanks

AFAIK there is no such mode available in stock or merlin firmware.
To use the routers full potential, you'd have to have it in wireless router mode and wired to an upstream router.
Some older Motels still offer wired connections, I've had one last I was in the US in 2016.

Here's a still accurate description of the operation modes for an 56R I found.
Note that Dnsmasq (and other services) is only active in router mode, while in AP mode it would use the upstream DHCP service.

Router Mode: In wireless router/ IP sharing mode, RT-AC56R connects to the Internet via PPPoE, DHCP, PPTP, L2TP, or Static IP and shares the wireless network to LAN clients or devices. In this mode, NAT, firewall, and DHCP server are enabled by default. UPnP and Dynamic DNS are supported for SOHO and home users. Select this mode if you are a first-time user or you are not currently using any wired/wireless routers.
Repeater Mode: In Repeater mode, RT-AC56R wirelessly connects to an existing wireless network to extend the wireless coverage. In this mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are disabled.
In Repeater mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility to get the wireless router's new IP address.
Access Point Mode: In Access Point (AP) mode, RT-AC56R connects to a wireless router through an Ethernet cable to extend the wireless signal coverage to other network clients. In this mode, the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions are disabled by default.
In Access Point (AP) mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility in order to detect the wireless router's IP address.
Media Bridge Mode: RT-AC56R can be configured in Media Bridge mode.The Media Bridge mode provides the fastest 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for multiple media devices simultaneously.To set up the Media Bridge mode, you need two RT-AC56R: one configured as the Media station and the other as a router.Configure one RT-AC56R as a router and another RT-AC56R as an 802.11ac Media Bridge to provide a simultaneous 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for your media devices such as computer, Smart TV, game console, DVR, or media player via Ethernet cable.Change to Media Bridge mode to provide a simultaneous 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for your media devices.
In Media Bridge mode, only wireless devices connect to the P-AP. Client devices need to be connected to the Media Bridge with a network cable.
In Media Bridge mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility to get the wireless router's new IP address.

Yes, I was looking for the router mode but instead of a wired upstream connection a wireless one, so I can use the full potential of the router, but looks that it cant be done I was just hoping for some CLI hack that could make it happen. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!