What's new

How Are You Creating An AiMesh Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How Are You Creating An AiMesh Network?

• I'm using two or more of the same router

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I'm mixing router models

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
We're going to be doing an AiMesh review and are trying to figure out which routers to include. This is going to be only a two node network. Looking for input on which routers to use. We're leaning toward two RT-AC68U's since they have been around the longest.

Please take a second and hit the poll at the top. Thanks.

Last edited:
If Wi-fi backhaul the 5300 has the advantage of a dedicated channel for it. This is what I will be doing.

If Ethernet backhaul I think they’re all a much of a much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm partial to two RT-AC86U's. I guess its too much work to test a pair of AC68U's and then a pair of AC86U's?

Please take a second and hit the poll at the top. Thanks.

Might be useful to have a third option - "I am not trying to create an AIMesh Network"

That would cover those that either don't need it, or are not in a place where they could...

Might be useful to have a third option - "I am not trying to create an AIMesh Network"

That would cover those that either don't need it, or are not in a place where they could...

Tim's poll is intended to help him tailor his review toward common usage scenario, not to determine the popularity of AiMesh. Having people voting "I don't use AiMesh" isn't going to help him in his review...

@thiggins: This might be of interest (if you didn't know already about it):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B316542/?tag=snbforums-20

If I was going to guess, I'd say most people didn't have 2 Asus routers when Aimesh came along. So they have one older model and one new. For me, Rt-Ac1900p and RT-AC86u

Definitely the most likely scenario.

yes, if I want mesh I would buy such hardware only for WiFi-mesh

If I got one or two (older and newer) Asus router sure I would use these for meshing instead of AP or repeater mode of the older one.

But without guest on mesh-node I will have to wait for this support to be usefull for me.

Tim's poll is intended to help him tailor his review toward common usage scenario, not to determine the popularity of AiMesh. Having people voting "I don't use AiMesh" isn't going to help him in his review...

It is valid - there's a few bugs and issues/concerns about how it works, and that option is useful and relevant whether to review or even fix things there..

It is valid - there's a few bugs and issues/concerns about how it works, and that option is useful and relevant whether to review or even fix things there..
What Merlin said.....

I just bought and installed two refurb ac66ub1's with latest 21045 factory ac68u firmware.

House is 43x32x20, main router on top floor, 2nd router is in 36x24 attached garage wired to WAN port on gigabit near ceiling.

I disabled NAT acceleration because my internet speed is 150mbit and roaming assistant is -55 rssi for 2.4ghz, -70 for 5ghz.

Plot is .4 acre, coverage is great everywhere although I could probably add a 3rd wired unit to the basement, only been 2 days but it's working without issue so far... I have many wifi home automation products, phones, laptops and android tv boxes.

I'm an IT guy for the past 20yrs and have always used aftermarket firmware on everything but I dont yet feel the need to change anything here.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!