What's new

How can I access router in a semi-loop situation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xworm

New Around Here
Background/Limitations:
R7000 initiate PPPoE session
PC2 must connect with ONU via ethernet cable

My expectation:
PC2 can connect to R7000’s LAN (and thus can access Internet)

Now:
When R7000 WAN is disabled, PC2 can connect to R7000’s LAN
When R7000 WAN is enabled, packet loss rate is above 90% for connection between PC2 and R7000’s LAN

What I’ve tried:
Disable/Enable Spanning Tree on R7000
Allocate same/different subnet for R7000 and ONU

Any suggestion?

Attachments

• Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 373
Now:
When R7000 WAN is disabled, PC2 can connect to R7000’s LAN
When R7000 WAN is enabled, packet loss rate is above 90% for connection between PC2 and R7000’s LAN

the simple answer here is you cant because the pc2 is in front of the nat of the router

the simple solution and the correct one is to connect pc2 to the lan ports of the r7000 or connect via wifi to the r7000

the way you have it set pc2 would connect directly to the internet and create its own pppoe session and have a separate ip address if your isp allows more than 1 connection at a time

the simple answer here is you cant because the pc2 is in front of the nat of the router

Always reminds me of shooting oneself in the foot - this little piggy went to market - blam, this little piggy...

n+1 and reload..

shoot-yourself-in-the-foot.jpg

Thanks

the reason I think it possible is that I have a "grey" cable connecting ONU's LAN switch and R7000's LAN switch, so PC2 is connected to R7000's LAN switch in theory.

The simple solution and the correct one is to connect pc2 to the lan ports of the r7000 or connect via wifi to the r7000
That's a solution if I can change physical connection

the way you have it set pc2 would connect directly to the internet and create its own pppoe session and have a separate ip address if your isp allows more than 1 connection at a time
My ISP doesn't allow more PPPoE session, that's why I have to consider connecting back to R7000

the reason I think it possible is that I have a "grey" cable connecting ONU's LAN switch and R7000's LAN switch, so PC2 is connected to R7000's LAN switch in theory.

ok so what is doing the routing ? as if you have the r7000 basically working as an access point and a switch you have no router

thus you would be getting different wan ip addresses for the pc2 and what ever connects to the r7000

the ond is not a router and has no routing functions its not even a switch as such

what you need to do is connect the r7000 in router mode via its wan port to the ond and connect pc2 to the r7000 by lan or wireless

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!