What's new

How can I limit bandwidth for a guest?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sushiglobster

Regular Contributor
I have a guest coming to my house and wanted to control the bandwidth for them. How can I do this? I'm on an RT-AC87U with Merlin's latest firmware.

Thanks.

Can't do it too easily now. But this feature will be in the next version or two of the firmware.

(It is in the beta, if you want to test that yourself, as-is).

I have a guest coming to my house and wanted to control the bandwidth for them. How can I do this? I'm on an RT-AC87U with Merlin's latest firmware.

Thanks.
If no one can give you a script or an iptables modification that you can add to the AC87 I suggest that you pick up an older router for a few bucks and plug it into your 87 as an AP. Set the radio type to B only which will restrict the link rate to 11Mbps which means that for downloads guests won't get much more than 5 Mbps. You also will have the option depending on the router's firmware to turn the radios on/off at a certain times of day

If you need even more granular control double NAT the router behind your 87 and set up a full set of access and parental control functions.

If its prioritisation rather than specific bandwidth usage you are wanting to control, in Adaptive QoS you can set all known devices to high OR highest priority. Any guest will get the default low priority.