What's new

How can my router be throttling me???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Christopher W

New Around Here
I'm baffled here. Just upgraded my internet speed from 15mbps to 50 mpbs. ISP says the order is complete. But my download speeds are stuck at 15. I took a laptop and plugged an ethernet cable directly into my cable modem (Surfboard SB6141), and got a clean 52mbps. But when plug my router (ASUS RT-AC87U) into the modem, and the laptop into the router, all I get is 15. I've rebooted everything, updated the router firmware, everything I could think of...How is it the router is determining my download speed? I thought the router only accepted the speed the modem puts through...

Help?

Chris

I'm baffled here. Just upgraded my internet speed from 15mbps to 50 mpbs. ISP says the order is complete. But my download speeds are stuck at 15. I took a laptop and plugged an ethernet cable directly into my cable modem (Surfboard SB6141), and got a clean 52mbps. But when plug my router (ASUS RT-AC87U) into the modem, and the laptop into the router, all I get is 15. I've rebooted everything, updated the router firmware, everything I could think of...How is it the router is determining my download speed? I thought the router only accepted the speed the modem puts through...

Chris

Call your provider - they need to refresh the modem profile in their billing system - happens quite a bit over on Cox HSI, might be similar for your provider as well.. takes a couple of minutes, plus they might want you to reboot the modem, so plan to have access to it.

Did you reset the firmware's NVRAM to it's Default state?

Perhaps some old QoS settings are still active?

Turn off the modem and router for at least 10 minutes and preferably an hour if you can.

Now turn on the modem and wait 5 minutes, then turn on your router.

Now, the rest of your devices.

Glad you found the real issue and sorry for my post above, skim reading doesn't always work well. :)

So Ive been trying to fix this for a while I can't seem to do it. My download speed from the modem is 35mb but connected to the router its 10mb... i called asus customer support and they told me to turn on QoS witch helped for a bit but then it went back. I've tried to do a hard reset of the modem and router. I've tried to do a full system restore of the router. Ive also flashed new firmware on to it. It seems like it is throttling my speed but i don't know how. iPhone gets 4mb and iMac gets 10mb and wired apple tv gets 12-14mb. any help???

Chris - Glad you got it sorted. If you want to get into QoS again, do some research on third party firmwares and "fq_codel" (soon to be cake). Otherwise, I'd leave it be.

Ricco - Chances are you've still got a corrupted/bad portion of your config in flash memory and/or NVRAM. I'd wipe it completely with a proper 30/30/30 reset (google it), then, if your model of Asus supports it, load AdvancedTomato. After it comes back up, immediately go to Admin > Configuration and clear NVRAM before configuring. If your model doesn't support Tomato, then load the latest Merlin version. That should fix things. If not, replace the router with something bug-free/non-defective. Not worth the headache. For 35Mb of WAN, even a $40 Asus RT-N12 will be more than enough.

Generally, I encourage SOHO users to leave QoS off, especially if their WAN link is faster than 50Mb or so (most consumer boxes can't handle anything more than that right now). Plus, the types of QoS they're running tend to not be all that effective anyways, so they often end up adding more trouble than they solve. Go figure. :)