What's new

How do I block youtube from one device on network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Two ways I know of: Use a dnsmasq.conf.add by making a text file, renaming it to dnsmasq.conf.add, place it in /jffs/configs (using SSH, FTP, Samba, etc) and then go to Parental Controls --> DNS Filtering to place exceptions. I did this for Facebook and my dnsmasq.conf.add was:

Code:
address=/facebook.com/192.168.1.1:8080
address=/fb.com/192.168.1.1:8080

So just replace facebook.com with youtube.com and its url variants. Or you can use AB-Solution. You can block ads and/or also insert the url you want to block in the blacklist file. There's also a firewall option in the GUI to block urls but it doesn't work with sites that employ SSL (https) unlike the two above.

On a personal note, youtube's not any more corrupting than netflix. If their homework's done and they limit themselves, let the kids have a bit of entertainment, dad.

All you have to do is use the Web/Filter which is part of AI Protection. You can filter per client and just tell it to block streaming media. I use it to keep the kids off YouTube,NetFlix etc...

All you have to do is use the Web/Filter which is part of AI Protection. You can filter per client and just tell it to block streaming media. I use it to keep the kids off YouTube,NetFlix etc...

Are there any issues with Merlin version 380.59_0?

I went to AIProtection / Parental Controls / Web & Apps Filters set to ON.

I selected the client name of the device I want I wanted to block and selected all of the check boxes. Click + to add and then click apply, and it clocks forever and then my session is lost and changes are not saved.

I have had the same problem with other features, I click on something and it logs me out of the screen, only since I updated to this version.

Also for when it will work, it's a little too restrictive because I want to allow Netflix on that client but I do not want YouTube.