What's new

How do i enter my homenetwork from outside?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andyhs

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

i've got a server with ProxMox installed. In ProxMox i've installed a virtual Windows Server 2016. Windows Server 2016 got an internal IP. If i want to access that IP from outside i need to portforward to that IP lets say the Windows Server 2016 is using 192.168.1.78. then i need to enter my Ubiquiti Edgerouter X and portforward this IP. But i live in a flat with 100 others, where we getting our Internet from a ISP that supplies all flats. (when i look up my External IP i've got the same IP as my neighbor) How do i forward so it knows that its my server in my flat that should had access?

when i look up my External IP i've got the same IP as my neighbor
Then it can't be public IP address because they must be unique (otherwise the internet wouldn't work).

Is your "external" IP address 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x ? If so then you will have to ask your ISP to give you a real public IP address.

Then it can't be public IP address because they must be unique (otherwise the internet wouldn't work).

Is your "external" IP address 10.x.x.x, 172.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x ? If so then you will have to ask your ISP to give you a real public IP address.

Okay...

My router is getting a IP address that is 10.20.0.1 - I think it is the router from our local router placed in the x-field in the basement. But when I look up my public IP address it’s the same my neighbor got. How that can be I don’t know? But also when I make a portscan all ports are closed. I think the router in the basement is set up not to tell if any request about ports are coming

It sounds like the shared router in the basement is acting as the Internet facing router for the whole building & contains its own NATing firewall.
Therefore all traffic from your building will share a single Internet IP.
To enable inbound connections, you would need to configure port forwarding on both your own router & the shared one. So for example, if you configured your own router to forward port 1000 from its external interface to your servers RDP port, you'd then need to configure the shared router to forward one of its own external ports to your routers address on port 1000 & then to use it remotely, you'd have to target the shared routers forwarded port.
However, rather than accessing your server directly, I'd rather configure a VPN on your router. You'd still need to set up port forwarding on the shared router to access your VPN, but then you'd have a secure connection into your home network through which you could connect to your server.

It sounds like the shared router in the basement is acting as the Internet facing router for the whole building & contains its own NATing firewall.
Therefore all traffic from your building will share a single Internet IP.
To enable inbound connections, you would need to configure port forwarding on both your own router & the shared one. So for example, if you configured your own router to forward port 1000 from its external interface to your servers RDP port, you'd then need to configure the shared router to forward one of its own external ports to your routers address on port 1000 & then to use it remotely, you'd have to target the shared routers forwarded port.
However, rather than accessing your server directly, I'd rather configure a VPN on your router. You'd still need to set up port forwarding on the shared router to access your VPN, but then you'd have a secure connection into your home network through which you could connect to your server.

Ah, okay, when i type in the IP 10.20.0.1 i've got a login page for a ZYXEL USG2200-VPN unit. But.... I don't got access to that, only the IT Admin is allow to enter that, and that is a company outside. I tried to talk to the board at home, but they say i'ts not possible to access your unit from outside the network on they line... So it sounds like i can't access it from outside.

What about iLO4 is it possible to run that outside my network? right now i've got an internal IP 192.168.1.xx for iLO4.

What about iLO4 is it possible to run that outside my network? right now i've got an internal IP 192.168.1.xx for iLO4.
Same problem. You need to get your ISP to forward the ports to your local network.

Try asking your ISP if they can put you in their DMZ.

Same problem. You need to get your ISP to forward the ports to your local network.

Try asking your ISP if they can put you in their DMZ.

The bad thing is, that they won't because it is a private board ISP we got here in our appartment area.

is't there a way to go round about this problem? I mean TeamViewer works fine, but that is because they connect to a server, and the target server is connecting to a server, right?

If you can't get an inbound connection, you'd need to establish an outbound connection rather like you do for teamviewer. Trouble is, you'd normally only open a teamviewer session when needed. If you want to be able to access your server remotely whenever you want, you'd need to establish an outbound session permanently & effectively trust the service you connect to with the keys to your server & network.
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that [emoji853]

What if i setting up a VPN server on the server, would that made any different? or should i still manage the routers in the basement ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!