What's new

How do i split traffic between PPTP VPN and WAN interface

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomsk

Very Senior Member
Hi There. This question has resulted from my attempting to make a DDNS script work through double NAT while i have a VPN client running http://www.snbforums.com/threads/double-nat-custom-ddns-script.34431/
I thought i could route the traffic to the websites where the curl command is grabbing the IP addresses through the WAN and leave the rest of the traffic going through the VPN
I have very little knowledge of iptables and found this script for tomato. I think i could make it work for my Asus-merlin setup.
However i am a little concerned about turning off reverse path filtering.... reading up a little on it seems it would be something you would want to have.

Code:
# This code goes in the WAN UP section of the Tomato GUI.
# This code based on the contributions from this thread:
#  http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/route-only-specific-ports-through-vpn-openvpn.37240/
#
# And from material in these articles:
#  http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html
#  http://fedorasolved.org/Members/kanarip/iptables-howto
#
# This script configures "selective" VPN routing. Normally Tomato will route ALL traffic out
# the OpenVPN tunnel. These changes to iptables allow some outbound traffic to use the VPN, and some
# traffic to bypass the VPN and use the regular Internet instead.
#
#  To list the current rules on the router, issue the command:
#      iptables -t mangle -L PREROUTING
#
#  Flush/reset all the rules to default by issuing the command:
#      iptables -t mangle -F PREROUTING
#
#
# First it is necessary to disable Reverse Path Filtering on all
# current and future network interfaces:
#
for i in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/rp_filter ; do
  echo 0 > $i
done
#
# Delete and table 100 and flush any existing rules if they exist.
#
ip route flush table 100
ip route del default table 100
ip rule del fwmark 1 table 100
ip route flush cache
iptables -t mangle -F PREROUTING
#
# Copy all non-default and non-VPN related routes from the main table into table 100.
# Then configure table 100 to route all traffic out the WAN gateway and assign it mark "1"
#
# NOTE: Here I assume the OpenVPN tunnel is named "tun11".
#
#
ip route show table main | grep -Ev ^default | grep -Ev tun11 \
  | while read ROUTE ; do
      ip route add table 100 $ROUTE
done
ip route add default table 100 via $(nvram get wan_gateway)
ip rule add fwmark 1 table 100
ip route flush cache
#
# Define the routing policies for the traffic. The rules will be applied in the order that they
# are listed. In the end, packets with MARK set to "0" will pass through the VPN. If MARK is set
# to "1" it will bypass the VPN.
#
# EXAMPLES:
#
#  All LAN traffic will bypass the VPN (Useful to put this rule first, so all traffic bypasses the VPN and you can configure exceptions afterwards)
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -j MARK --set-mark 1
#  Ports 80 and 443 will bypass the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p tcp -m multiport --dport 80,443 -j MARK --set-mark 1
#  All traffic from a particular computer on the LAN will use the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --src-range 192.168.1.2 -j MARK --set-mark 0
#  All traffic to a specific Internet IP address will use the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --dst-range 216.146.38.70 -j MARK --set-mark 0
#  All UDP and ICMP traffic will bypass the VPN
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p udp -j MARK --set-mark 1
#    iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -p icmp -j MARK --set-mark 1
# By default all traffic bypasses the VPN
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -j MARK --set-mark 1
# Spotify explicitly uses the VPN
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --dst-range 78.31.8.1-78.31.15.254 -j MARK --set-mark 0
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i br0 -m iprange --dst-range 193.182.8.1-193.182.15.254 -j MARK --set-mark 0
Anyone know a way to do this without turning off the reverse path filtering... or an alternative?

Thanks

Why dont you save yourself all the problems and just switch over to OpenVPN?
If it were only that simple.... i had an openVPN setup running beautifully, however due to the machinations of my ISP with DPI or some such techniques, now i can't even get connection using TCP on port 443. L2TP is blocked too, so I'm left with PPTP .... i guess thats so easy to crack they can see what I'm up to anytime.

So unfortunately the search goes on for a solution....

If it were only that simple.... i had an openVPN setup running beautifully, however due to the machinations of my ISP with DPI or some such techniques, now i can't even get connection using TCP on port 443. L2TP is blocked too, so I'm left with PPTP .... i guess thats so easy to crack they can see what I'm up to anytime.

So unfortunately the search goes on for a solution....
I will give you a quick solution. Dump your present VPN provider and go with PIA or someone else. Why suffer because of crappy service.

I will give you a quick solution. Dump your present VPN provider and go with PIA or someone else. Why suffer because of crappy service.
I think its the ISP blocking openVPN protocol rather than the VPN provider that is the problem....i think the only alternatives if i want to use openVPN protocol is to go with a provider that uses "stealth" techniques to camouflage it. Not many of those run on routers without some mucking about (router pro, stunnel ,XOR,etc). There must be a way to work around my problems splitting traffic on PPTP with iptables.
At least this provider is still in the fight with netflix where a lot of others have faded out. :)