What's new

How good is the Netgear R7000 with the latest firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nerva

Occasional Visitor
The specs on the R7000 look impressive, but I see a lot of older posts here and on Amazon and Newegg that say the firmware is rubbish -- in particular, there's repeated mention of every couple days the wired/wireless connectivity dies and you have to reboot it.

But those posts are 6 months old at least. I see on Netgear's website their latest 1.0.4.18 firmware is dated February 2nd 2015, so they're still supporting it.

Can people weigh in with their recent experiences with the R7000 using the latest firmware?

I own the R7000 for about 2 month now.

Starting with 1.0.3.80 was ok and stable for me using it as a router.
No reboot for me for 2 weeks.
Advancing to 1.0.4.18 was pretty the same experience.
No reboot for me for 1 week.
I recently went back to a beta firmware because the official ones are lacking DFS support in europe.

Btw there´s also DD-WRT(Kong) or Tomato for this router.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
New Firmware - Laggy For Me

I just downloaded the released firmware 1.0.4.18 and noticed my download speed is not as fast, or robust as 1.0.3.80.

In fact, I even called the cable provider to inquire if there were any network traffic outside the norm.

1.0.3.80 - Steady 23.2Mb Down - (All the time)
1.0.4.18 - Starts out at 21Mb and falls down to 17.2 - 17.8

I just reverted back to 1.03.80, and back to my normal speeds.

I am curious if others are experiencing issue like this as well.

Maintaining my trusty 1.03.80 until the next release.

Currently using 1.0.4.18_1.1.52 (the latest). Totally stable here, great wireless coverage, great performance for me. My download speed (from my ISP) is about 30Mbps, and I get about 29.7Mbps via wireless at the farthest point from my router on 5GHz., using the Ookla speed test app. Wireless-AC also works well on my LAN.

So working well for me, no complaints...I should mention that I only use the mainline features of it, though, routing and wireless. I do have a wide variety of clients connected, though. Great performance for both routing and wireless. I am experiencing stronger wireless signal on this firmware than previous versions. Verified through WiFi Analyzer app *smile*.

No issues over here with latest stable firmware. I don't see any speed drop while doing speedtests. In fact, my speed has increased a tiny bit. Was previously getting in the 170 Mbps, now I'm getting in the 180 Mbps and up. Of course this could be due to other factors so I do not claim that it's the firmware alone

and yes, WiFi signal is a bit better compared to previous firmware

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!