What's new

How? Hotspot like Registration for Users New Devices Inventory and Guest Information

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crashnburn

Regular Contributor
How? Hotspot like Registration for Users New Devices Inventory and Guest Information

3D DIAGRAM: FULL IMAGE - CAN ZOOM IN:
http://picasaweb.google.com/AbhiGlo...photo?authkey=fBw1U6n6fPs#5220566434434913138

Between Level 3 and Level 4 :
Level 3: WR1 - Main Router:
ASUS RT-N16 w/ Tomato USB Router FW 2012 - To be updated - WPA2 - SSID: AS4

Level 4: WR2 - Wireless AP:
TP-Link TL-WR740N (factory fw: 2015) WPA2 - SSID: TP4
(can be DD-WRT or Open WRT etc)

I'd like Hotspot like Registration for the following scenarios if possible.

Users New Device Inventory and
- Users who are close family but I'd like for them to register (and collect a few fields) whenebver they add new devices (given the Phones/ Tablets/ Laptops these days)
.e.g. Persons Name, Device Name/ Model, Brand, MAC Address
I will later use these to assign specific Static DHCPs to the 'within family' Peoples Devices

I'd like to track and keep check of what devices are coming on board and ensure that no STRANGERS are there on the network.

Guest Info
- Occassionally we get guests who are not there all the time, so I'd like to cater to them slightly differently
.. Similar Registration process & TOS
.. I am wondering if Shorter/ Expiring Leases can be generated for them
.. Different guest SSID and/ or isolated VLAN?

I did google and read a little bit about Captive Portal on Tomato and other opensource Hotspot solutions around DD-WRT.

I am not sure what they are capable of and whether they would be overkill.

Thoughts/ ideas/ Direction?

What you are asking for is way overkill.

I'd like to track and keep check of what devices are coming on board and ensure that no STRANGERS are there on the network.

Simple enough - two SSID's - one for home, one for guests - lock them down with WPA2-AES, and go to the home boxes and enter credentials...

For the guests, again, since the Guest Network is also locked down with WPA2-AES, and a reasonable stout password...

What you're proposing is overkill and a bit invasive on the user experience..

Can I do a LIGHT version of the above?

This is key. I want to later assign them different Static DHCP's on Tomato. Organized IP assignments.

Where I can get get HOME/ RELATIVES to put in some information.. as its hard to track which Android phone belongs to whom? I'd like to put some form that makes them REGISTER a new device ATLEAST ONCE if not repeatedly.

And later if ever needed I can track / graph/ analyze usage patterns and quotas between different fixed & mobile devices.

I can let go of the Guest network and maybe put them on a separate SSID or VLAN.

Instead of using hotspot radius is less invasive and a much easier and better option that is supported by many APs unlike hotspot. RADIUS has more control and monitoring over user activity compared to hotspot and is more versatile (you dont get your web pages replaced by the login page or long downloads being interrupted). Hopefully openwrt and tomato has radius server. RouterOS has it as well.

Using RADIUS you can define groups of user which you can have on seperate VLANs (SSID doesnt matter) and instead of a guest SSID you can have a guest login. You can do the same with hotspot too but hotspot is just not as good as RADIUS. If you use RADIUS all you have to do on your AP is set WPA2-enterprise and input the RADIUS server and use AES encryption (Or TKIP+AES for compatibility). RADIUS also uses less resource than hotspot on the router.

with hotspot unauthenticated users will still be connected to your wireless AP whereas with RADIUS configured unauthenticated users will not be able to connect to your wireless AP

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!