What's new

How long will my RT-AC68U continue to work...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hoff

New Around Here
Let me start off by saying that my RT-AC68U is THE best router I have ever owned in terms of features and performance! However, this was only after flashing ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware onto it.

When I first received this router I could not get it to connect properly to the wan from my Arris 6183 no matter what I tried. I upgraded my firmware to the latest from Asus, and still could not get it to connect to the wan. I tried doing a factory restore, powercycling my modem and router, and no matter what I did it would not connect. I called Asus technical support, and they were absolutely useless. I was told by the representative that I should return it.

After flashing to Merlin 378.55 firmware all of my problems completely vanished. I love this router now! I'm worried though... I can't decide if I should return it or not. I do technical support for a living, and I have never once struggled so badly with trying to get a router to connect properly to a modem! I feel extremely reliant on this firmware in order to keep my router working how I would like. What am I going to do if updates to this firmware cease to exist later on?

Currently my ISP is Time Warner Cable (Austin, TX) with 300mbps down/20mbps up. I'm using a personally owned Arris 6183 modem (purchased the same time as the AC68U). It has worked well for the last week since I switched to this firmware.

I'm just looking for a second opinion... I don't want to get rid of this awesome router, but I do want it to last!

Merlin's firmware is excellent. If it's working well for you, keep it! I have a similar situation with an old Linksys router which has radio and USB problems and is useless to me if I run the Linksys firmware, but it all works and meets my needs perfectly (as a second AP) with DD-WRT. Your option is to replace your ASUS router with a less-than-adequate router with good factory firmware, which doesn't make sense. If you want a great router with all the robustness and functions of Merlin's firmware, then... well... you've got it. :)

After flashing to Merlin 378.55 firmware all of my problems completely vanished. I love this router now!

I think you've answered your own question;). Merlin fixes a lot of the bad code that ASUS roll out and I have been using his firmware versions for a few years now.

My RT-AC68U with Merlin's firmware is by far the best and most stable router I've ever owned and I won't be replacing it until I have to.

HB

The only test I might try in your situation is to buy another example and see if it does the same thing with your modem and ISP. If it does; it is your modem and ISP as far as I'm concerned. If it doesn't, I would be returning the one you have now.

Thanks for your responses guys! I may try getting a 2nd just to see, but I think it is very possible it may have something to do with my ISP... Either way, I guess if it works on Merlin's firmware I shouldn't worry about it. I had a linksys I ran on DD-WRT for almost a decade without issues until I had to bury it in my backyard.

R.I.P. Abraham Linksys.

I think you'll be fine for a while - the weak spot for most consumer grade router/AP's is the AC Adapter, it generally fails first, and the symptoms are inconsistent connections and random dropouts - and this is not specific to ASUS or any other OEM..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!