What's new

How To Back Up NAS to NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Warning about Buffalo Linkstations

As a practical matter, when you use a Buffalo Linkstation for automatically backing up another Linkstation you are going to waste electricity. That's because a Linkstation cannot "wake up" it's identical twin (referring to the Pro LS-XHL).

You cannot set the target to Auto power management to use with scheduled backups. Well, technically you can if you are good at remembering to have your PC powered up at the time the backup runs. Not good if you want backups to run late at night or to conserve energy.

Neither can you practically set a sleep/wake schedule for the target. When you do this, your PC cannot wake the Linkstation, and it is unavailable on the network until it wakes itself up or you switch it on manually.

On the other hand, the Linkstation will sleep/wake an attached USB drive from another company.

Thx for bringing up the JBOD thing.

So with a capacity of a few terabytes, it would be best still to use raid5 just in case.

These are my choices so far.

Main NAS: QNAP 509 Pro Raid5 with 5x1tb Western Digital RE3 drives

Backup NAS: QNAP 509 Pro Raid5 with 5x1tb Hitachi Ultrastar A7K1000 drives

My only issue is aethetics. There some newer NAS models that have the drives perpendicular. Would it be better if i replaced my backup NAS from a 509 Pro to a 609?

How should i setup the NAS layout ??

NAS 1 >> DLINK DIR 655 Router >> PC1

NAS2 >> DLINK DIR 655 Router >> PC1

Also should i still get a QNAP? Or is there a better cheaper alternative?

Last edited:
Synology - MBWE

Hi Tim, hi all.

I read your and I followed your introduction to setup my MBWD 2TB(white light) and my Synology DS 1511+ (DSM 3.1). Everything worked well until I configured the target of the synchronization in the Synology interface. A warning appears, that the DSM-version is not compatible. Both, source and target have to have the same DSM-version.

Any ideas or propositions?

backing up the backup

For ReadyNas Duo the drives are mirrored. Buy one more disk and casing and just rotate one disk off site. When swapping the offsite drive back in it will be made up to date again.

For ReadyNas Duo the drives are mirrored. Buy one more disk and casing and just rotate one disk off site. When swapping the offsite drive back in it will be made up to date again.
This is not a recommended method. SATA connectors are not designed for many connects and disconnects. And there is always the chance of a glitch that could wipe out your data.

This is not a recommended method. SATA connectors are not designed for many connects and disconnects. And there is always the chance of a glitch that could wipe out your data.

I will second this. The last comanpy I was at was trying to do the one disk swap with a ReadyNAS Duo for their offsite backup and were never able to get it to work.

Buffalo directory name needs to be lower case

Tim - I too appreciate the article about rsync backup to a Buffalo linkstation. I recently moved up to a Synology 213+ from a Buffalo LS-CHL56B. I wanted to backup from the Synology to the Buffalo, but could not figure it out and the Synology documentation nor Help was much help for this noobie.

I went thru your Article 4 step by step and seemed to be getting closer, but would get a failed message and instructions to log back into the Synology and try again.

DSM 4.2 requires you to specify the directory in addition to the backup module. On my Buffalo Share the directory was DestForSyn. I went back to the Buffalo and changed this to destforsyn and changed this in the Synology backup setup pages and voila it works. I guess this is related to Linux filename capitalization rules.

thanks
homer_at

I don't use mirroring - RAID, because in a 2 drive NAS, this does not protect you from accidental file deletion, file system corruption or failure of the NAS power supply or electronics.

rsync is supposed to be a standard - so both vendors' products should interoperate.
Synology also supports WEBDAV- file level backup.
And iSCSI - which is a standard for disk block level I/O via IP.

Buffalo NAS Backup - Error

I have a folder *Lightroom Library) of 600 GB (Giga) on a Linkstation Quad (QVL)

I did aNetwork Backup to a Linkstation Duo (WXL) but only 300 MB (mega) copies over.

The full files structure copies over successfully…

But the main folder with all the picture files is "Lightroom Catalog" which has a red -ve sign on it.

I am using MAC

Any idea how to do a backup properly?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!