What's new

How to boost External wifi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Meadster

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I am looking to project my wifi signal to my back garden as, although I have good internal wifi, size of my house and location of my mesh satellites I can't just have another one that may well project the signal externally as there will be simply too much wifi in the house.

I currently have a BT home hub 6 (wifi turned off) connected to orbi 860 with 1 router and 2 satellites with hard wired backhaul. Internally this is great but, externally in my back garden the speed is slow so and devices keep switching to the 2.4mHz signal, am looking for a way to boost the wifi signal particularly the 5mHz signal. Any suggested mucho apprecaited.

Hi, I am looking to project my wifi signal to my back garden as, although I have good internal wifi, size of my house and location of my mesh satellites I can't just have another one that may well project the signal externally as there will be simply too much wifi in the house.

I currently have a BT home hub 6 (wifi turned off) connected to orbi 860 with 1 router and 2 satellites with hard wired backhaul. Internally this is great but, externally in my back garden the speed is slow so and devices keep switching to the 2.4mHz signal, am looking for a way to boost the wifi signal particularly the 5mHz signal. Any suggested mucho apprecaited.

Walls are the enemy of 5ghz, especially exterior walls. If you can get one of your nodes near a window overlooking the back yard, that may be enough to get a bit of 5ghz coverage but most likely 2.4 will still be better back there.

An outdoor rated AP mounted outside on the house is probably the only hope of having a good 5ghz signal out there, depending on the size of the area and how far from the house etc

Perfect is the enemy of good enough...

Look for 2.4GHz as the backstop... better range, and most likely good enough when sitting on the patio...

Perfect is the enemy of good enough...

Look for 2.4GHz as the backstop... better range, and most likely good enough when sitting on the patio...

Agreed, my outdoor AP is 2.4ghz, but only because it is a really old N rated one and I haven't had the need for more speed. In my tiny yard, 5ghz would do it fine, but for larger areas, unless you're doing some insane bandwidth intensive stuff, 2.4 should be more than enough.

The exception of course, if you're in a dense RF environment with lots of others around you, 2.4 may be completely unusable outdoors. Over the years mine has dropped to about 1/2 the throughput I used to be able to get (and I'm in a suburban area, not urban). My neighborhood is full of people with ISP supplied routers with 40mhz channels, sometimes a second router they've installed with another 40mhz channel, etc. Still plenty for my needs, but if/when I replace it I will swap to 5ghz.

A friend of mine in a large apartment complex, can barely get 1M over 2.4, right next to the router. Firing up Inssider or the like is a clusterf**k. And that was after doing all the possible optimizing I could.

Internally this is great but, externally in my back garden the speed is slow so and devices keep switching to the 2.4mHz signal, am looking for a way to boost the wifi signal particularly the 5mHz signal. Any suggested mucho apprecaited.
FYI, I am the wireless bridge vendor. How about a dual band point-to-point wireless bridge solution to extend your WiFi coverage?

FYI, I am the wireless bridge vendor. How about a dual band point-to-point wireless bridge solution to extend your WiFi coverage?

To his back garden which has likely no power and nowhere to mount the bridge (plus the AP that would need to hang off that bridge?)

A directional dual band AP would make much more sense (half of a bridge setup, with AP capability, which can accept direct client connections).

If you're going to advertise your products, at least read what the OP needs and suggest a proper product for their needs. If you don't have such a product, then don't suggest one that doesn't fit instead.

Yes, it is a challenge of installing a wireless bridge in a location without power around. However, it's worth highlighting that our wireless bridge kit offers some advantages that may still make it a viable option:

Wireless bridge with AP capability: Our wireless bridge kit combines the functionality of a wireless bridge and an access point in a single device. This means that not only can it establish a stable and high-speed connection between two locations, but it also provides an additional access point for clients to connect directly.

Guest Access Point function: The built-in guest access point function allows you to create a separate network for guest users, ensuring that your main network remains secure. This feature can be particularly useful if you want to provide internet access to visitors or separate your own devices from those of your guests.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!