What's new

How To Buy A Wireless Router - 2018 Edition

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
wlan_opening_graphic_2018.jpg
Our 2018 guide to choosing a wireless router finds 802.11ax not yet ready to play.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Had a great conversation on one of my recent flights between San Diego and San Jose (based in SAN, I'm up in the Valley these days 2 or three times a month on various projects).

11ax is hard stuff - and my seat mate is working on it directly - helps that I'm a recovering IEEE 802.16e/16m contributor, along with participation in some of the early 11ac/ad stuff during plenary sessions. There's a fair amount of 16m proposals that eventually made their way in a modified form into 11ax.

One of the reasons why the 11ax development is taking a very long time is interoperability concerns - 11ax is one of the largest changes to the 802.11 spec, and everyone wants to make sure it works - not just within a single vendor implementation, but across the board with all vendors. The AX working group leadership is a bit more open than the AC and AD chairs were, so that is causing things to take more time... Nobody in the industry wants a replay of the ugly 11n days with pre-Draft implementations that could not work across vendors. Yes, there's been some ugly things during early 11ax, but not to the level of what happened with 802.20 back in the day.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!