What's new

How to configure multiple AP wireless without loosing the connections?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cuteme

New Around Here
Hi

Kindly please help me. I've already tried different configuration but still i'm loosing connections.
this is my current configurations.

Router Asus RT-N66U
IP: 192.168.1.1
Access Point 1
IP: 192.168.1.2
Access Point 2
IP: 192.168.1.3
Access Point 3
IP: 192.168.1.4
Access Point 4
IP: 192.168.1.5
Access Point 5

Note: AP's is manually assigned IP around the DHCP list.

All configured same wireless mode(802.11 B/G/N Mixed), SSID, WPA2 and wifi Password but each of them has a different channel.
all Access Point is wired to a network switch.

is there a problem with my configuration? really appriciate your help.thank you

If you want handoff to work between APs, the SSIDs need to be the same. However, the handoff timing will vary depending on the network card in each device, some doing it better and some worse.

thanks for your reply. one more thing why the other laptop are not recognizing or cannot obtain an IP?. i'm resolving this issue by rebooting the AP?

Router Asus RT-N66U
IP: 192.168.1.1
Access Point 1
IP: 192.168.1.2
Access Point 2
IP: 192.168.1.3
Access Point 3
IP: 192.168.1.4
Access Point 4
IP: 192.168.1.5
Access Point 5

Maybe a few too many AP's?

thanks for your reply. one more thing why the other laptop are not recognizing or cannot obtain an IP?. i'm resolving this issue by rebooting the AP?
I'm not exactly sure what laptop you're referring to, but if that laptop is the only device having issues, it's just a quirky (and unfortunately all too common) wireless equipment incompatibility issue. You may be able to fix it though by changing some settings on the APs like the channel mode, etc.

alright thanks. i'll give it a shot! how about channel mode? 20/40mhz or only 20mhz?

In 2.4GHz - it's pretty much consensus here that 20MHz channels are the way to go - esp. if one is running multiple AP's, and if you're in an area where there is a number of neighboring networks, it's a better way, not just to avoid impacting neighbors, but to keep them from impairing your WLAN if one is trying to run wide channels...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!