What's new

how to connect 2 buildings without hardwiring?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

matt6789

Occasional Visitor
You guys are the best advice around. My Qnap and Synology are doing exactly as I was wanting.

New project...
I'm trying to get my parents' shops connected. I've spent some time searching through the forums to find a similar case. This one is the closest I could find:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/need-ac-router-extender-bridge-repeat.26574/#post-199842

The studio is a metal building ~100' long, ISP penetration is on South end. The workshop is to the north and the buildings are ~60' apart. The workshop has utilities, but not internet. They are separated by a Right-of-Way, preventing me from running wire.

The studio has cable service and a Netgear AC router. The workshop will need to accommodate 1 wired and 1 wireless devices. Speed and bandwidth needs are minimal so N300 will be adequate for streaming music and a camera system to check on Dad.

The problem I finding with low-cost solutions is the repeater. Most that I've looked at will only provide a wired access. Email and chat help from the MFG is lacking since they only recommend the newest product being sold. Also, I'm hesitant abut trying outlet-style repeaters since they are low on the wall and subjet to more clutter.

I read your review of the Edimax BR-6208 and it looks like it will accomplish what I'm trying to do.

My thoughts:
1. Powerline doesn't work. I tried a set of TP-Link TL-PA2010 that I use for my garage.
2. The unit at the workshop needs to wirelessly connect to a router and provide wired and wireless access.
3. I can run a cable to the north end and place a router (I have an extra) closer to the workshop to get strongest signal across the RoW (15' up and just 2 building walls to hurt signal).
4. Would like to keep everything on same LAN if possible.

Would installing a Edimax BR-6208 at the workshop work?
Would installing a media bridge (D-Link DAP-1513) and router at the workshop work better?

A simple diagram helps a lot for these questions.

Wi-Fi doesn't travel well through metal.

If you are going to have a shot at getting an extender/repeater to work, you should get the extender and router as close as possible and preferably located
line of sight to windows on both ends.

Extenders usually support Ethernet and wireless connections simultaneously.

What sort of throughput are you looking for the connection to provide and on what band?

A simple diagram helps a lot for these questions.

Wi-Fi doesn't travel well through metal.

If you are going to have a shot at getting an extender/repeater to work, you should get the extender and router as close as possible and preferably located
line of sight to windows on both ends.

Extenders usually support Ethernet and wireless connections simultaneously.

What sort of throughput are you looking for the connection to provide and on what band?

Thanks for trying to help.
Both buildings are metal, so just 2 metal walls and I can locate units for thinnest cross section to go through. Either band works since there's not much around to interfere. G-speed would work fine, and N150 would be more than enough. The only devices using the connection will be a wired 4-camera system and a wireless receiver getting streaming music.

I'm waiting to hear from the county about running wire rope between the buildings over the RoW. That would support an ethernet cable and solve everything.

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 399

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!