What's new

How to debug rebooting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

professordave

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have had this router ONLY for a couple of days. I just noticed this morning that the router was not in an "on" state.

Then today, it has rebooted itself every few hours.

I am currently running 3.0.0.4.266.24, I also ran version 23B and that crashed also.

As an aside, I have a 3TB seagate harddisk that worked with aicloud on 266.24 but not on 23b and not stock.

Anyway, I have given up on using harddrives with the router for the time being until I can figure out why the router is rebooting.

The router just rebooted with no harddrive attached.

I just made a thread with same problem, I am running 3.0.0.4.266.23. Mine isnt rebooting every few hours tho but did reboot this morning after a week or so uptime. Wasnt even under any load just idle, log shows nothing, one minute normal, next minute rebooting.

If the router regularily reboots itself and you don't have anything special installed (no USB or printer plugged, no Optware, etc...) then try doing a factory default reset, and reconfiguring it from scratch (do not reload saved settings, as this would simply reapply any corrupted setting).

If the problem persists, then you either have a power issue (make sure the power doesn't flicker and cause the router to reboot), or you have a defective unit (which you should get replaced under warranty).

There is no known cause of crashes leading to a reboot in Asuswrt-Merlin or in the original firmware (provided you did disable GRO).

Hello,

Nothing plugged into the USB Ports.

Power supplied by a UPS.

It was restarting every couple of hours.

I have not physically returned it yet, but started an RMA through Amazon.

Hello,

Nothing plugged into the USB Ports.

Power supplied by a UPS.

It was restarting every couple of hours.

I have not physically returned it yet, but started an RMA through Amazon.

Just to rule out UPS issues, try plugging it in a wall outlet for a day or two.

anyone else having rebooting problems?

Hello,

Should I move this question to the ac66u forum as I am now on stock firmware and still getting the reboot?

This is a second ac566u from Amazon. Plugged it in last night, clicked the reset button (is that the NVRAM Clear thing?)

Set up the SID and passwords for the two frequencies.

This morning, I upgraded the stock firmware to 3.0.0.4.270

After a few hours it rebooted itself.

Did not set that many settings, I did set one port forwarding rule for 32400 for plex.

Before I set the port forwarding rule, plex was able to tell the router to map that port itself through upnp I am guessing.

I can see this under the routers logs for port forwarding

One suggestion here was to plug it into the wall or another power source.

I will do that later, I am not home now.

It is currently plugged into a UPS. The UPS has the modem, a Synology NAS DS412+, and three USB harddrives.

In an effort to make sure that it is not some setting that I set, I turned off vpn broadcast.

I did not turn off vpn support, I really want that.

Does anyone know if vpn broadcast is buggy?