How to divide a 100 mb internet connection into 4 sub networks of 25 mb each?

Discussion in 'ASUS N Routers & Adapters' started by brennevin, Feb 26, 2013.

1. brennevin

brennevin New Around Here

Sorry for probably a silly question, but in my building we have a fiber connection which is 100 mb. And we are 4 people who are using it. I would like to use the rt-n66u to split it into 4 connections of 25 mb. And I would like it to be wired and use the 4 ports on the router. The users should not be able to see each other on the network, so it should be 4 completely private networks. Is this possible to do in a fairly easy way?
    Thank you.

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Probably doable by using Tomato, but definitely not in an easy way. You will have to learn to work with VLANs probably to be able to isolate all four users.

3. brennevin

brennevin New Around Here

Ok, thanks for the reply.
    Would you know if there is a cheap device that does this and is easy to manage? Like a switch of some kind?

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Not that I'm aware of. This is a pretty specialized requirement, so I suspect it would be mostly available from business-class devices from the likes of Sonicwall.

Otherwise, pretty sure it can be done with Tomato. Try asking on the Tomato forums at Linksysinfo, there are quite a few QoS/bandwidth control gurus there.

5. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

You can do this with a smart/managed switch with VLANs and with ingress/egress port rate limiting. Switch would be linked to a router LAN port and the four networks run to ports on the switch.

Something like this would work: TP-LINK TL-SG2216 Gigabit Smart Switch Reviewed

6. gluon

gluon New Around Here

I would suggest this mikrotik be sufficient enough for your case.