What's new

How to divide a 100 mb internet connection into 4 sub networks of 25 mb each?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

brennevin

New Around Here
Sorry for probably a silly question, but in my building we have a fiber connection which is 100 mb. And we are 4 people who are using it. I would like to use the rt-n66u to split it into 4 connections of 25 mb. And I would like it to be wired and use the 4 ports on the router. The users should not be able to see each other on the network, so it should be 4 completely private networks. Is this possible to do in a fairly easy way?
Thank you.

Sorry for probably a silly question, but in my building we have a fiber connection which is 100 mb. And we are 4 people who are using it. I would like to use the rt-n66u to split it into 4 connections of 25 mb. And I would like it to be wired and use the 4 ports on the router. The users should not be able to see each other on the network, so it should be 4 completely private networks. Is this possible to do in a fairly easy way?
Thank you.

Probably doable by using Tomato, but definitely not in an easy way. You will have to learn to work with VLANs probably to be able to isolate all four users.

Ok, thanks for the reply.
Would you know if there is a cheap device that does this and is easy to manage? Like a switch of some kind?

Ok, thanks for the reply.
Would you know if there is a cheap device that does this and is easy to manage? Like a switch of some kind?

Not that I'm aware of. This is a pretty specialized requirement, so I suspect it would be mostly available from business-class devices from the likes of Sonicwall.

Otherwise, pretty sure it can be done with Tomato. Try asking on the Tomato forums at Linksysinfo, there are quite a few QoS/bandwidth control gurus there.