What's new

how to get config file - WRT1900AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

philmiami

Regular Contributor
I see this in some posts
are we talking about ssh admin@{ipaddressrouter}?
because I get connection refused....

and I backup the config but I can not read it
what would you use to read it?
the backup.cfg file?

Not exactly sure what you mean, but if you're talking about a saved settings file with a .cfg extension, usually those files aren't written or read by anything or anyone other than the router. Settings are usually saved or backed up into a file by the user when the router is working well with a particular version of firmware. The saved settings .cfg file isn't intended to be human readable, this file is only used to restore those settings when needed, and only for the same version of firmware that the .cfg file was made on. The same section of the router admin GUI that you used to save your settings into a file is also used to restore those settings by reading the save settings file.

If your question is where in the web admin GUI is this functionality located for the WRT1900AC, it's on the "Troubleshooting" tab -> "Router Configuration" -> "Backup" | "Restore"

Does this answer your question?

Last edited:
Thanks but no.....
I already have that
I wanted to ssh or rlogin the WRT1900AC
That I can not figure out
I mean I appreciate it but I already got that
I guess it is not something that can be done
that's why I am going to return this to Amazon
I wanted to give it another try but it's not working
maybe a bad router

There's no telnet/SSH on the WRT1900AC. If you want that, your best bet is to go with Asus or get a router that can support DD-WRT.

I am about to unplug this WRT1900AC P-O-S
ship it back to Amazon
and get a RT-N66U or R or whatever
and flash Tomato on to it
and be done with it....
this router is just FUBAR
a waste of $250
thanks

If you want to talk about what the router is not doing that you need to do, and what you've done so far, you might get some help here.

I understand frustration, but it isn't coming across in your postings what problems you're actually having. Or sometimes one is just done with things.

Good luck.

He actually did articulate in another thread what some of his issues were.

However, he also mentioned that he's already purchased a new AC68U, so it seems he has moved on...

Yes I appreciate it but with my dlink cameras fubar right now (between the wrt1900ac, the old dlink dir-655 and mydlink.com) I am already looking for some other wireless web enabled camera that I can see when I am 1500 miles away from home working.
The WRT is NOT ready to use primetime
If you only have like 3-5 devices then it's great....if you have a lot of things wired and wireless then it's not
I always thought this router would serve me for another 5-7 years but it's a disappointment, to me
The support is a joke......
when I called Amazon to setup the return because I also want a return on my Square Trade for it also, the lady said THIS router has been marked as INSTANT return, so you don't have to wait until we get it to process it.
So I must not be the only one to return it
and I gave it a 1 star rating...
When I spend $250 on something I basically expect it to make me breakfast too.....
not ride me like drunk ex....
I hope the Asus is better because if not the going to the Ubiquiti Edge Router Light and a Ubi-Pro AP is the next step....that put's it over $350 for that setup....so I expect breakfast and lunch for that......:p

Sorry that you had such a bad experience with the WRT1900AC...I'm not using the one that I have, waiting for better firmware. Too many reboots, and not the strongest wireless, as well.

I hope that you have a better experience with the Asus. The R7000 that I'm using now is working really well. I'm using dd-wrt firmware, great performance and stable. My two most important criteria *smile*.

Good luck!

If you only have like 3-5 devices then it's great....if you have a lot of things wired and wireless then it's not

I have 34 total devices and my WRT1900AC works fine. At any given time, I might have 12-15 active devices. I have 2 external access points, so I also have a good mix of wireless and wired clients.

when I called Amazon to setup the return because I also want a return on my Square Trade for it also, the lady said THIS router has been marked as INSTANT return, so you don't have to wait until we get it to process it.
So I must not be the only one to return it

This is standard practice for Amazon. I returned a Netgear R700, Linksys EA6900, and Asus AC68W prior to buying my WRT1900AC. With ALL of them, they gave me my refund the minute I processed the return and didn't have to wait until they received my item.

If Amazon told you this router was "instant return" they fed you a line of bull...

I might be a little late to the party but I was curious about the D-Link camera issues the OP was having. Just a follow up but are those cameras on the latest firmware?

Like HTISMage, I had a Netgear R7000 that I loved until I flashed a new firmware on it that caused it to start dropping it's connection to my ISP. I would run a constant ping test on it and watch it drop (for only one ping) and come back. Of course this would cause havoc with remote desktop sessions and gaming, so I desperately tried to restore it back to factory defaults. Used the 30-30-30 method. Tried DD-WRT. All of them would produce the same behavior. I'm outside my return window so I plan on sending it in RMA to get it replaced. I can sell it after that.

I picked the WRT1900AC up and it is working like a champ so far. I disabled firmware updates after it loaded the first update since I don't want a repeat of my Netgear experience, but I suspect maybe some devices with older firmware on them might not play nice with things like beam forming perhaps?

MY dlink issue in connecting, now I have the Asus RT-AC68U, no problems....
now to deal with mydlink
the WRT-1900AC was not good, or the one I had was not good
that's why it has a 1 star rating on Amazon and my youtube is critical of it
When they get the firmware right....I might change but I doubt it.....
I just put this Asus in today, uploaded the Merlin latest release on it and will see how it does over the next week
If it turns into a POS, then ship it back to Amazon and go to Ubiquiti Edge Router Light and Ubi AP-Pro 2.4/5Ghz.
That is stuff built for commercial use, for handling 50+ users all at once with a 1,000,000 packet per second router (for $99+AP for $220)
That should be able to last me for a while
I don't have AC stuff, all I got is all N 2.4 or Apple at 5Ghz
So I just want something that does not need a reboot.......like once a year

I'm mostly not about troll feeding - I'm more than enough troll-like myself - but read-thru...

MY dlink issue in connecting, now I have the Asus RT-AC68U, no problems....
now to deal with mydlink

I'm reasonably certain you'll sort it out somehow... I've stayed quiet while you rant, and folks have tried to help, but you still rant...

the WRT-1900AC was not good, or the one I had was not good
that's why it has a 1 star rating on Amazon and my youtube is critical of it

Actually, on Amazon, at least here in the US - it's a 4 star rated device

When they get the firmware right....I might change but I doubt it.....

They're working on it - the community here, and on other sites like whirlpool.au have provided a significant amount of constructive feedback, and the linksys folks are working hard to nail down the issues.

I just put this Asus in today, uploaded the Merlin latest release on it and will see how it does over the next week
If it turns into a POS, then ship it back to Amazon and go to Ubiquiti Edge Router Light and Ubi AP-Pro 2.4/5Ghz.

The Asus gear is decent from a HW perspective, and the community here supports and appreciates rMerlin's efforts, along with others in the Asus 3rd party SW dev community.

In any event, seems like you've walked away from the WRT1900ac, so further discussion with you is likely moot.

I don't have AC stuff, all I got is all N 2.4 or Apple at 5Ghz
So I just want something that does not need a reboot.......like once a year

Just go and buy an AirPort Extreme AC and be happy then.. it's stable and fast, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of some of the other vendors, but plug it in, configure it, and it just basically works...

sfx

Attachments

• WRT1900ac_amazon_062514.jpg
    WRT1900ac_amazon_062514.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 689