What's new

How to get the most speed out of your LAN/WiFi.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rob Q

Hi,
I'm sorry for asking this if this topic may already exists but I am unable to find it.
Is there any settings of my RT-AC1900P that I could change for the maximum IO throughput on the WiFi and LAN?
I'm using Merlin Firmware Version:384.13 and I think I'm using the default settings.

Hi,
I'm sorry for asking this if this topic may already exists but I am unable to find it.
Is there any settings of my RT-AC1900P that I could change for the maximum IO throughput on the WiFi and LAN?
I'm using Merlin Firmware Version:384.13 and I think I'm using the default settings.
Here is a compilation from several sources, including Merlin and John themselves.

Attachments

• WiFi Router Setup Recommendations.pdf
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,087
If you compiled and maintain that, THANK YOU!

The URL of my original source is at the top of the page. You can go there and see if any details have changed or been added. Credit also goes to a few regulars here who have this all figured out and freely share it with us. I think L&LD's messages have links at the bottom which further expand on this topic.

Last edited:
Nice! Thanks for sharing. I got better coverage with the 2.4 and 5 GHZ networks now and the LAN seems to be quicker.
For the LAN:
Jumbo frame: enable
NAT Acceleration: auto CTF, (Cut Through Forwarding) is enabled.
Spanning-Tree Protocol: enable?

Update:
Later on.... I had to revert to 'factory defaults' because while streaming video, it kept buffering and wouldn't playback on the 2.4GHz network.

The LAN settings such as 'jumbo frame' , 'NAT acceleration' and 'spanning-tree protocol', do they affect the Wifi or just the LAN ports?

Last edited:
The LAN settings such as 'jumbo frame' , 'NAT acceleration' and 'spanning-tree protocol', do they affect the Wifi or just the LAN ports?
I'll have to leave that question for the guys here who understand the inner workings of the firmware. My best guess would be that they would affect everything on the LAN side.

just curious - has anyone encountered settings that may interfere with bluetooth devices, and if so what variations did you find may have alleviated such interference. i'm having difficulty where bluetooth devices don't resume handshakes after either the source or the output was powered off, so i have to keep manually re-doing it (deleting the device and adding it back again) between the source and the output (typically a speaker or headphone).

USB3.0 is known to interfere in 2.4GHz band with WiFi and so BT too. Wifi and BT can be problematic to, better turn off 2.4G and use only 5G for your clients if possible.

just curious - has anyone encountered settings that may interfere with bluetooth devices, and if so what variations did you find may have alleviated such interference. i'm having difficulty where bluetooth devices don't resume handshakes after either the source or the output was powered off, so i have to keep manually re-doing it (deleting the device and adding it back again) between the source and the output (typically a speaker or headphone).
There used to be an option under 2.4 GHz Wireless > Professional for "Bluetooth Coexistence". Do you have that "enabled" (or "pre-emptive":confused:)?

USB3.0 is known to interfere in 2.4GHz band with WiFi and so BT too. Wifi and BT can be problematic to, better turn off 2.4G and use only 5G for your clients if possible.
So, turn off USB3.0. What do you mean by 'Wifi and BT can be problematic to'?

Funny you should say that. Some days I do have issues syncing my Fitbit to my PC via Bluetooth. Maybe that's when the router's control channel for the 2.4Ghz network is operating on the same frequency as the Bluetooth radio in my watch.

There used to be an option under 2.4 GHz Wireless > Professional for "Bluetooth Coexistence". Do you have that "enabled" (or "pre-emptive":confused:)?
My RT-AC1900P has that setting. What setting would you recommend that I have it on?
upload_2019-11-22_20-2-30.png

I used to set Pre-emptive, but really dont know if it did anything better than disable or enable. It depends on BT-version and BT-client firmware to use this information from the router or simply ignore it.
BT uses all 2.4-channels hopping around all the time. Problem will or may occour mostly on clients with active BT and 2.4-Wifi connection at the same time.
And if you use USB3.0 stick or any device with badly shielded cable on the router it will influence 2.4 Wifi on the router. You can change USB-ports to use 2.0 only on GUI (only if a device is connected).