What's new

How to install and run Iperf on Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aznphatb0i

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys!

I have an EdgeRouter Lite and would like to install and run Iperf (https://iperf.fr/) on it.

I read that it's possible to install and run Debian packages like Iperf on the Eddgerouter Lite, but I am very new to the Edgerouter Lite and am unable to find the functionality. I read over the information here but i'm still not sure how to get started.

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to install and run Iperf on the Edgerouter Lite?

Would really appreciate the help! This is my second foray into Ubiquiti devices! Thank You!

i dont think you should be running iperf on the test device. You install iperf on 2 devices that will connect to the edgerouter and traffic between them will be NATed. You than run iperf between the 2 devices and measure the throughput and CPU usage of the edgerouter.

ERL already has basic functionality for iperf testing build in, through its GUI. Under toolbox go to Bandwidth where you can assign the router being a receiver or sender. But never used this myself.

Although I concur with "system error message" that you should be testing its routing performance through two clients. If you run iperf using the ERL as receiver you will notice a limited throughput; if you test it with two clients the result will be astonishing.

Its the same that mikrotik routerboards have mikrotik bandwidth tester built in (they all use routerOS and routerOS has it in tools) but while they are slow if you use it from the router they're meant to be used as a client meaning that the router is acting as a client, not as a router. When testing from the router you are not using it to test the router's throughput but rather the router is testing the throughput of something else in between. If you have point to point links it would make sense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!