What's new

How to pass through vlan ID in AP mode?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

startover909

New Around Here
My AC1900P is set in AP mode, connected to a port on a Mikrotik router configured to tag all egress traffic with a vlan ID.

With my regular unmanaged Netgear switch, even though the switch itself is not vlan-aware, it has no issue passing through the tags to downstream clients, and vlan-aware clients would be able to handle them just fine.

With the AC1900P (running latest Merlin WRT) in AP mode, which to my understanding functions much like a switch, it does not seem to handle the vlan id well. It's not passing them through, actually even the AP itself cannot obtain an IP from the router.

So is it possible to make my AP mode AC1900P function like my dumb switch, passing through the vlan tags?

Thanks.

Not sure if this makes any difference, my WAN port on the RT-AC1900P is fried, so I use one of the LAN ports to connect to the Mikrotik router. It works as long as packets come out of the router untagged. Once tagged = whole AC1900P stops working.