What's new

How to remove ISP throttling? I receive 77MB/s but modem limits to 1MB/s!!!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ascanio1

Regular Contributor
My ISP delivers 77MB/s of bandwidth at my doorstep but then installs a limiting modem which throttles at 1MB/s. Please help me to remove this limitation.

Hi to everyone, I apologize if I am posting in the wrong forum, pls move this post if it should be elsewhere. I searched all the forum but could not find a suitable answer. I also apologize for the length of my post!

A) Setup:
I live in Japan. My ISP is NTT (Hikari Next). On the early morning of installation the technician's laptop, directly connected to the optic-fibre cable via a modem, showed 77MBs (yes, you read correctly: MBs not Mbps) download average throughput!

The ISP optic-fibre cable goes directly into an NTT modem (model: SCMPDF) with 1 WAN and 1 TV antenna (coaxial) ports.

From the coaxial port an antenna sends the HD TV content to my Home Theater and from the WAN port an Ethernet cable connects to an NTT router (model: RT-S300HI) with 4 LAN, 2 phone & 1 WAN ports (no WiFi).

The is RT-S300HI is bridged to a Buffalo WZR-G300N (WiFi 802.11n) router via Ethernet.

Average Ethernet throughput at the RT-S300HI:
Latency: 15 ms
Download: 70 to 170 Mbps (depends on time of day)
Upload: 70 to 90 Mbps (depends on time of day)

Average 802.11n WiFi throughput (-65dBm, 15 ft away, 1 wooden wall, at measured location):
Latency: 20 ms
Download: 8 to 12 Mbps (depends on time of day)
Upload: 8 to 13 Mbps (depends on time of day)

I am not interested in internet phone and internet TV content. I can ditch these 2 to access the 77MB/s bandwidth.

B) Question:

Can I replace the ISP modem and router with faster devices?
- This question is technical, not commercial. NTT (my ISP) said: "no, you cannot upgrade, you must use our rental devices" and I am also sure that NTT will not help me to set up other devices. I will need SNB help.

A Japanese geek friend explained to me that NTT modems' firmware have a sort of QoS limiter which prevents band hogging by HDTV, Phone & Internet concurrent use. It is NOT throttled at origin but locally. I want to find a way to bypass this limitation.

If answer to Q1 is: "yes, it is technically possible" please recommend me the best throughput devices (both modem and WiFi router) for my situation - pls note that as soon as Sony will release a 802.11ac Vaio I will buy one, so I am very interested in the new 802.11ac routers (Netgear/Asus)

Since bridge extenders and repeaters block 50%, or more, bandwidth I would like a router (possibly one of the two 802.11ac) which antennas can be replaced with boosted, 15dBi antennas, to cover my whole home.

I thank in advance and I appreciate your time and expertise!

Tommaso

On the early morning of installation the technician's laptop, directly connected to the optic-fibre cable via a modem, showed 77MBs (yes, you read correctly: MBs not Mbps) download average throughput!
If you attach your computer via Ethernet to the cable modem WAN port, what throughput do you get?

As long as there isn't anything special about the NTT RT-S300HI router, you can substitute any router. Check the Router charts to find routers that support > 600 Mbps routing speed.

@ thiggins,

Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Modem:
Tried to hook up laptop to modem but it could not not identify the network. How can I identify the network?
If we will find that my modem is throttling, what can I do? Can an ISP lock its data stream to a single modem? If yes, can it be bypassed and how? My questions are technical, not commercial/legal.

Router:
Given your answer, I will certainly replace the router.
Considering my home (at bottom I describe situation), do you have any specific recommendation from that list?

Again, thanks for the help!

Tommaso

My home:
- I use local ISP connection and VPN connection and I need to switch easily between them.
- I have 1 network but I can see 15 other!!
- All networks only in 2.4GHz and none in 5GHZ.
- I have 8 clients (2 Win, 2 Mac, 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 Android).
- 3 of these clients are online simultaneously: A & B 1080p media streaming and C bittorrent download.
- My WiFi router reaches A&B with only 40/50% signal (they are in opposite ends of the house).
- About 300 sq m, thin wooden walls, lots of cables & pipes in the ceiling & under the floor.

Last edited:
If you ISP is throttling via the cable modem, you can't do anything. But your ISP should be delivering the up and download bandwidth you have purchased.

Go into your router and look at the WAN port IP address info and manually set your computer IP address info to be the same.

Go into your router and look at the WAN port IP address info and manually set your computer IP address info to be the same.
I found the WAN IP number. I then connected my laptop to my modem and tried to connect using my browser. It gave me "this server is taking too long to respond".
So I disconnected my cable from the modem and went into the adapter settings (proprieties) and under IP ver4 (TCP/IP) I selected:
"use the following IP address and inserted the WAN IP address in the first line. First it gave me an error "you must define the subnet mask" but when I simply pressed ok again it closed the window and nothing happened.

Please, could you link me to a web site that explains, step by step, moron proof, how to check my modem throughput via the WAN port?
Or, please, could you list step by step how to do it?

I want to find out my modem's throughput and compare it to my router's throughput to establish if the modem is throttling or not my internet bandwidth.

Thanks for your time and help!

Tommaso

You need to copy ip address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS settings from the router WAN IP address info.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

These are all the items which contain this format of numbers but I don't know what they are because the router is in Japanese - well I can understand WAN, etc but which of these I should copy where?

IP Address for the WAN: 180:235:4:11
IP Address to connect: 202:224:37:87
DNS Primary and secondary: 202:224:32:1 / 202:224:32:2
So I guess you mean these above into the properties of the adapter IPv4, correct?

I also found the following:
DHCPv4 Client: 188:177:62:250/30
Length/Mask
DHCP Server: 192:168:1:1

Default Gateway: 192:168:1:1
DHCP Servers: 192:168:1:1
DNS Servers: 192:168:1:1
IPv4 Address: 192:168:1:2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Last edited:
My ISP delivers 77MB/s of bandwidth at my doorstep but then installs a limiting modem which throttles at 1MB/s. Please help me to remove this limitation.

Sounds like the technician has a different class of service that you do. What you don't mention is the service level agreement between you and the ISP.

Check the terms/conditions of your agreement, and talk to customer care to upgrade if needed - if things are out of sync, likely they can push an updated configuration to their equipment at your location to accurately reflect the class of service you are signed up for.

Yes, it was mentioned once already by other members (thanks). I explained that the ISP claims that my throughput is within contractual parameters.

My question is merely technical. "Theoretical".

The ISP technician measured well over 70MBs at the cable (inside my home) but I can only measure 70 Mbps after the router and the modem. Both provided by the ISP and the ISP claims that neither can be replaced with non proprietary devices.

I don't know if the ISP is throttling my throughput at the router or modem. Local IT experts tell me it happens at the modem.

Out of mere curiosity: theoretically, would it be technically possible to tap into the available throughput which the technician measured inside my home?

How do I measure throughput at the modem? I need step by step, moron proof, explanations... please!

Can the ISP recognize which modem or router (*) I am using?

If it can, can it curtail the available bandwidth to a non proprietary modem or router (*)?

If I cannot replace the ISP's modem or router (*) then, in theory, are there software, firmware or other setups which can bypass these limitations?

Thanks for your help. It is really appreciated.

(*)
I'm pretty sure that you can replace the router with any other model that you like!
But maybe not the modem.

Last edited:
You need to copy ip address, subnet mask, gateway and DNS settings from the router WAN IP address info.
@thiggins,
Thanks for your help.
I'm still stuck. I read tons of articles on internet but I am only getting a headache and more confusion. I am not an IT engineer...

I listed a number of IP and DNS parameters. Which should I put where to measure:
A) The throughput delivered outside my walls
B) The throughput after my modem, before my router.

Please, advise!

@ sfx2000
Check the terms/conditions of your agreement, and talk to customer care to upgrade if needed - if things are out of sync, likely they can push an updated configuration to their equipment at your location to accurately reflect the class of service you are signed up for.
I checked with the ISP and my throughput is within contractual parameters.
They also gave me the following tech data for the modem:
Modem Type: GE-PON (SCM-GE-PON<H>A GV-ONU)
Line Type: IEC60874-14
Connector type: SC
9 micrometer core across
125 micrometer clad across
ITU TG 652
Can you recommend me a fast modem that can work with these parameters/specs, please?

Last edited:
@ Tim
These are the values which I read in the router:
IP Address for the WAN: 180:235:4:11
IP Address to connect: 202:224:37:87
DNS Primary and secondary: 202:224:32:1 / 202:224:32:2

DHCPv4 Client: 188:177:62:250/30
Length/Mask
DHCP Server: 192:168:1:1

Default Gateway: 192:168:1:1
DHCP Servers: 192:168:1:1
DNS Servers: 192:168:1:1
IPv4 Address: 192:168:1:2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Please, can you guide me, step by step, which of these I should input where to see what kind of throughput I am getting at the modem?

Yes, it was mentioned once already by other members (thanks). I explained that the ISP claims that my throughput is within contractual parameters.

My question is merely technical. "Theoretical".

The ISP technician measured well over 70MBs at the cable (inside my home) but I can only measure 70 Mbps after the router and the modem. Both provided by the ISP and the ISP claims that neither can be replaced with non proprietary devices.

I don't know if the ISP is throttling my throughput at the router or modem. Local IT experts tell me it happens at the modem.

Out of mere curiosity: theoretically, would it be technically possible to tap into the available throughput which the technician measured inside my home?

How do I measure throughput at the modem? I need step by step, moron proof, explanations... please!

Tim has already stated how you can do this - you should take the modem out of bridge mode, and then connect your laptop or device to the modem directly. Make sure you're using the Ethernet connection on the device and not the wireless.

ascanio1 said:
Can the ISP recognize which modem or router (*) I am using?
Yes.

ascanio1 said:
If it can, can it curtail the available bandwidth to a non proprietary modem or router (*)?
Yes. Or it may possibly just not connect to their network. If you haven't had your modem provisioned, then their network can block it. You'd have to call them for that connection to be set up.

ascanio1 said:
If I cannot replace the ISP's modem or router (*) then, in theory, are there software, firmware or other setups which can bypass these limitations?
You're asking a technical question that could lead into illegal activity. My advice, since you've asked it multiple times here, is to stop asking for technical results/answers if you have no intention or ability to legally implement them.

Tim has already stated how you can do this - you should take the modem out of bridge mode, and then connect your laptop or device to the modem directly. Make sure you're using the Ethernet connection on the device and not the wireless.
Yes, I thank Tim for his help. And I thank you too, I appreciate your time.

Modem and router are 2 separate units (Japanese menus). But I found WAN IP/DNS (as listed in that post) from my router and I then connected laptop/modem (ethernet) but I'm not sure which of those values (which I posted) goes where goes in my laptop's ethernet ipv4 settings. I am unable to gain access to the internet and one of it's many speed tests.

You're asking a technical question that could lead into illegal activity. My advice, since you've asked it multiple times here, is to stop asking for technical results/answers if you have no intention or ability to legally implement them.
I apologize, you're right, of course.

But can you at least help me to verify my throughput at the modem?

Yes, I thank Tim for his help. And I thank you too, I appreciate your time.

Modem and router are 2 separate units (Japanese menus). But I found WAN IP/DNS (as listed in that post) from my router and I then connected laptop/modem (ethernet) but I'm not sure which of those values (which I posted) goes where goes in my laptop's ethernet ipv4 settings. I am unable to gain access to the internet and one of it's many speed tests.

Tim was intending you to use that IP information into your device (laptop or computer). Then you connect your device to the modem, not the router.

Another way to do this would be to just unhook your router from your modem, and then hook your device into the modem with that cable you just disconnected from the router. You can leave your device on DHCP mode, and see if it will pull an IP from the modem itself. If it doesn't, try unplugging and rebooting the modem, and see if it connects.

If it doesn't, I'd call tech support to help you direct connect to your modem. That's the only way you'll be able to test at the modem and eliminate your router as the culprit.

ascanio1 said:
But can you at least help me to verify my throughput at the modem?

Hopefully the above helps.

Last edited:
Tim was intending you to use that IP information into your device (laptop or computer). Then you connect your device to the modem, not the router.
Yes, but that it is exactly what I am doing: connecting the laptop to the modem. My problem is that I don't know which of all those values goes where.

Another way to do this would be... You can leave your device on DHCP mode,
How do I leave or set my adapter to DHCP mode? This is my problem: I heard these acronyms many times & can see them in the options sprinkled around the menus, but I don't know precisely which value goes where.

For example: the first thing which I did was to disconnect the router's end of the cable which goes from the modem to the router and connect directly the modem to my laptop (this sort of instruction I understand). I already did this, as I mentioned in a previous post, but it gave me the errors which I described.

Sorry for reiterating... please, help! TIA.

Yes, but that it is exactly what I am doing: connecting the laptop to the modem. My problem is that I don't know which of all those values goes where.

How do I leave or set my adapter to DHCP mode? This is my problem: I heard these acronyms many times & can see them in the options sprinkled around the menus, but I don't know precisely which value goes where.

For example: the first thing which I did was to disconnect the router's end of the cable which goes from the modem to the router and connect directly the modem to my laptop (this sort of instruction I understand). I already did this, as I mentioned in a previous post, but it gave me the errors which I described.

Sorry for reiterating... please, help! TIA.

We're trying to help, but as all devices are different, you're going to have to do a little sluething yourself. You have to help us help you, too.

Google some things and see if you can't figure some of this out for yourself, or do what was mentioned a few times: Call your internet provider and see if they can't talk you through this. They know their equipment better than we do.

I will try again with the ISP. They would not help then (that's why I posted in the first place) so I doubt that they'll do it now. But another try will not hurt. And I will go through more posts/internet, but DHCP, DNS... I'm not into computers... but, I'll try again. Can you recommend me any other forums?

It's not about the forums. It's about the fact that you should be able to configure these settings before messing with them. If you really don't know how these settings work, then the question that comes up is 'how do you know you don't have the speed you're promised?' Does the ISP require you to use a router? That's highly unusual for ISPs. They usually either provide a combined router/modem, or they just provide a modem and don't care how you connect to it. Either way, you should be able to connect directly to your PC. If you can't, or don't know how to do that, then the tech who comes out needs to show you how this all works. If they refuse, is that a company you want to be using in the first place?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!