What's new

How to remove RT-AC87 top cover

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raven-au

Hi all,

I'd like to attach a serial cable(s) to my RT-AC87 but the top cover seems very difficult to remove.
Mind you I'm a little to reluctant to be too heavy handed when I don't have, at least some idea, of how the cover is attached for fear of breaking it.

The pictures I've seen on the Web aren't very clear and there's no picture of the inside of top cover with any detail at all so I can't get an idea of how it should come off.

Can anyone give a description of how to remove the top or a description of how it's secured to the base?
Anyone have clear pictures of the inside of the top cover and any pictures of the base with just the top removed that have more detail than what's found on the web?

Make sure you remove the screws under the rubber pads first. After that, it's your typical clam shell. Start by lifting away the front, then work your way around it.

Make sure you remove the screws under the rubber pads first. After that, it's your typical clam shell. Start by lifting away the front, then work your way around it.

OK, thanks very much.

I couldn't tell how the top was secured, it looked like might have been something strange from the existing pictures.
Are these the typical little prongs that hook into the top cover, so you just need to bend the case out some to unlatch them?
When you say the front, it looked like there wasn't anything securing the front, but rather was secured starting from the front sides, did you mean start from the front sides?

OK, thanks very much.

I couldn't tell how the top was secured, it looked like might have been something strange from the existing pictures.
Are these the typical little prongs that hook into the top cover, so you just need to bend the case out some to unlatch them?

That's correct. One is male, the other female. I can't remember for sure which is which - my AC87U is currently closed. If I remember correctly, the bottom part is male, so it must be pried away.

When you say the front, it looked like there wasn't anything securing the front, but rather was secured starting from the front sides, did you mean start from the front sides?

If the front isn't clipped at all (again, I don't remember), then yes, also start from the front sides. The back is the hardest to unclip due to the rigid plastic.