What's new

How to setup 2 reachable subnets in two routers settings required!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sunsina

New Around Here
I have two Tomato Shibby routers.
One of them is connected to internet (RT-AC66U) [192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0] and its LAN3 port (only connection)
is connected to a WAN port of a cascaded router (RT-N16) [192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0]

I googled a lot to make both routers see and ping each other attached devices, both subnets should access each other and their attached devices should reach each other without any restriction, unfortunately I found the online answers more confusing and useless for me.

In this thread I added many of the router setting pages that I think are required for correct setup on
both routers.

Note: Comments on the 192.168.1.x router are in GREEN and for the other router 192.168.2.x are in RED

I am sure if any one solve and help me with this issue with the required settings he/she will not only fix my problem but also he/she will benefit many others.
FC2-1X-AdvRouting.png
FC2-2X-AdvRouting.png

Last edited:
Do you need to have the second router AS a router?
You could connect the cable from the first router to a LAN port on the second router and disable its DHCP.
That way the computers connected to the second router will be managed by the first router, as it was a switch connected to it.
You woul only have the .2 subnet.

Thanks Caple, I tried your approach and I disabled DHCP
Then I realised there is no more router page for 192.168.1.0/24 that I do not want it
like that since I have to access that router webpage for Wireless management and other configurations.
Please provide me with the minimum required configuration on the submitted pages and let me know
if I should define new VLANS in the 2.x/24 router or not.
How about having WAN and LAN port of 2.x router connected to 2 LAN ports of 1.y router?

Do you need to have the second router AS a router?
You could connect the cable from the first router to a LAN port on the second router and disable its DHCP.
That way the computers connected to the second router will be managed by the first router, as it was a switch connected to it.
You woul only have the .2 subnet.
I tried but I lost my control over the 1.x router

Set the 1.x router as 192.168.2.2, and set the first router to give IPs starting on 192.168.2.3. Then you can access 192.168.2.2 (second router) to set wireless settings, and 192.168.2.1 to set the main router.

Generally if you want to link 2 routers on the same local network using a LAN port on router1 to the WAN port on router2 you need to set the router WAN port on router2 to DHCP and it will receive its' IP address from router1. You will need to add a static route to router2's WAN IP address on router1. DHCP will be turned on both routers. You may want to open all the ports on the second router, router2 since router1 is your real firewall router for the internet. Router2 will need a different IP network than router1 for DHCP and its' internal IP address. The WAN port of router2 will be an IP address from router1 using DHCP.