What's new

how to setup 2 RT AC66U routers....

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I purchased 2 RT AC66U routers to use as a primary wired and secondary wireless repeater.

Problem is that I followed the ASUS directions how to set them up but the secondary one doesn't connect to the internet.

Did anybody do this and can you explain step by step how?? I am lost :(

I did what this link told me to do: http://support.asus.com/FAQ/detail....B4eO&no=1862EC3A-F59E-6A44-9182-C513B58F5B89#

thanks in advance for your help

Nicolaas
Merlin had a version that included a repeater function but I can't remember which one and I am too busy to track it down.

Merlin had a version that included a repeater function but I can't remember which one and I am too busy to track it down.

Repeater Mode is not available on the RT-AC66U, only on the RT-N66U and RT-N16 (and using the Experimental builds of Asuswrt-Merlin).

I purchased 2 RT AC66U routers to use as a primary wired and secondary wireless repeater.

Problem is that I followed the ASUS directions how to set them up but the secondary one doesn't connect to the internet.

Did anybody do this and can you explain step by step how?? I am lost :(

I did what this link told me to do: http://support.asus.com/FAQ/detail....B4eO&no=1862EC3A-F59E-6A44-9182-C513B58F5B89#

thanks in advance for your help

Nicolaas

Hi Nicolaas,

If you have two RT-AC66u, you can set one up in Media Bridge mode to connect it wirelessly instead of the normal bridge method. Here is a guide for setting it up - http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=42392BBD-29F7-D0C7-6E04-BA444E44B750&t=2

Note: In Media Bridge mode, the second router (lets call it the "bridge") will connect to the main router using one band and provide a wireless signal on the other. It still provides Internet through LAN as well. Example: Connect to the main router's 5ghz band, the bridge will transmit on 2.4ghz.

Hope this helps. For more specification, feel free to shoot me an email.

Repeater Mode is not available on the RT-AC66U, only on the RT-N66U and RT-N16 (and using the Experimental builds of Asuswrt-Merlin).
Doh! That's right. I keep forgetting I upgraded to the RT-AC66U from the RT-N66U back in January. Thanks Merlin!

Jeremy if I understand correctly, I can use the media bridge mode also wirelessly? 2.4G in bridge (wired) mode and 5G in wireless mode or the otherway around. this would be the solution! Gonna try it

thanks
Nicolaas

Last edited:
and I just found this http://support.asus.com/FAQ/detail....B4eO&no=1862EC3A-F59E-6A44-9182-C513B58F5B89#

BUT they are using a N66 router sample... but in the top of the page making you think its for the ac66

I am trying to get a better internet connection upstairs in my house.. the 1st router (ac66u) doesn't give me that so I purchased a 2nd ac66u to turn into a wifi repeater to get better reception on the 2nd floor...using it as a wired access point for computer and smart TV and wireless for ipads and iPhones....

If I understand Merlin (and I did some research about you ;-) and you know everything about this stuff (wish I knew 5% ) I can't use a ac66U as a repeater... BUT could I connect a n66 as a wireless repeater to my ac66 ?? or when I upgrade to your software for the ac66... does this make make the repeater function possible??

thanks in advance
Nicolaas

Last edited:
I just set up 2 RT-N66U, 1 on one side of the house, 2nd one on other side of house. I just ran a CAT5 cable thru attic ran it down with the coax cable thru wall. Main router set to default, second one to access point.

Main router set to 192.168.1.1
Access Point set to 192.168.1.5

Set both SSID the same including WPA encryption, set to different channels. And works perfect for me.

Hope this helps

Hi Nicolaas,

If you have two RT-AC66u, you can set one up in Media Bridge mode to connect it wirelessly instead of the normal bridge method. Here is a guide for setting it up - http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=42392BBD-29F7-D0C7-6E04-BA444E44B750&t=2

Note: In Media Bridge mode, the second router (lets call it the "bridge") will connect to the main router using one band and provide a wireless signal on the other. It still provides Internet through LAN as well. Example: Connect to the main router's 5ghz band, the bridge will transmit on 2.4ghz.

Hope this helps. For more specification, feel free to shoot me an email.

The problem with the Media Bridge/WDS mode implementation by Asus is that you can only connect to an Open or WEP security enabled wireless signal which today is hardly or never used.

Repeater mode is more flexible in that respect but unfortunately not available on the AC66 yet.

Last edited:
Not to dredge up an old thread, but in order to provide an update and clarify for anyone looking to use two AC66U's, the RT-AC66 does now allow "Repeater" mode, and both the router and repeater can take advantage of fully secured (WPA-AES, TPK, etc.) passwords for each SSID, so the issue of using "Bridge" mode and having to run as an "open" (i.e., unsecured) SSID has been resolved.

I'm using one RT66 as a router, and the other (set to 5ghz, 80mhz on channel 161) as the repeater. You can use all 4 LAN ports on the repeater with virtually no signal drop (this is the functional equivalent of using a wireless bridge), and you can also use the 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios on the repeater as well to reach areas that your router can't reach. This is most useful with 5ghz, but also extends the 2.4ghz signal as well to areas where you can't run a wired AP.

Hello.
I have a RT-AC66U that I would like to use as a repeater from an "unknown brand" routers wifi signal.
I've changed the settings in my Asus and made a new SSID for my network. The problem occurs when I try to connect afterwards.
I says that "your parent AP might be off".

It is not of, and it is working.

Any clues what could be wrong?

I get the same error - cannot connect to the Primary AP after the setup is down. I tried 2.4 and 5 G

So why is repeater mode in the asus webui if the rt-ac66u cannot do repeater mode ?

Probably the same reason that an econobox has a speedometer that goes to 260 KPH but can't easily hit half of that (it is cheaper to reuse available parts (or code) than to design and build a proper one). :)

Are we sure ASUS didn't create the ability for the AC66U to now work in repeater mode. This thread was from 2012. A lot of revisions could have been pushed out in that time.

Repeater mode was added years ago...

This is why necroposting is a bad idea.

Repeater mode was added years ago...

This is why necroposting is a bad idea.

Agreed.

I've got a now spare AC66U that I want to switch to repeater mode and a google search kicked up this thread with the parameters set to only give recent results due to the post from earlier in July of this year. I asked for clarity to ensure that the right information showed up in this thread if someone else came across it in a similar fashion.

Thanks for clearing it up!:cool::)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!