What's new

How to setup Asus by Merlin RT-N66U with 2 VPN CLients simultaneously

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DoctorSox

New Around Here
Hi all,

I use a asus RT-N66U with Asus by Merlin Software and would like to setup 2 VPN connections

and use this at the same time for 2 different devices.

My provider supports 3 connections to different countries/server and also server chains.

config:

Client 1 ON - Server Germany, Munich - device PC 1 rules IP 10.10.20.20 VPN

upload_2016-11-17_23-22-54.png

Client 2 ON - Server Germany, Frankfurt - device PC 2 rules IP 10.10.20.10 VPN

upload_2016-11-17_23-23-48.png

both start with wan

both Redirect Internet traffic - policy rules

both Block routed clients if tunnel goes down - yes

rules for routing clients as listed on top

PC 1 works great

PC 2 has always the IP from Server/Client 1

VPN status shows both connections connected

upload_2016-11-17_23-21-9.png

Why it doesn´t works ? I spoke with friends and they use the models AC-56U and AC68U, with

this 2 asus routers it works fine.

This function would be very interested for me, who can help me ?

Many thanks in advance for your support !

Greetz
DoctorSox

Did you try a full network reboot of all your connected equipment?

Hi L&LD,

yes, I tried...I think I would flash the sofware once again...first with the original asus soft and then with Merlin...

I have found the flashing instructions (Merlin by ASUS) and maybe the problem is fixed, report follows.

DoctorSox

Hi all,

I use a asus RT-N66U with Asus by Merlin Software and would like to setup 2 VPN connections

and use this at the same time for 2 different devices.

My provider supports 3 connections to different countries/server and also server chains.

config:

Client 1 ON - Server Germany, Munich - device PC 1 rules IP 10.10.20.20 VPN

View attachment 7761

Client 2 ON - Server Germany, Frankfurt - device PC 2 rules IP 10.10.20.10 VPN

View attachment 7762

both start with wan

both Redirect Internet traffic - policy rules

both Block routed clients if tunnel goes down - yes

rules for routing clients as listed on top

PC 1 works great

PC 2 has always the IP from Server/Client 1

VPN status shows both connections connected

View attachment 7760

Why it doesn´t works ? I spoke with friends and they use the models AC-56U and AC68U, with

this 2 asus routers it works fine.

This function would be very interested for me, who can help me ?

Many thanks in advance for your support !

Greetz
DoctorSox
You are getting a router conflict, Their subnets are probably the same.
This is scenario one. I also think that you need to get rid of both connections being 256 Encryption cipher.
This has happened to me as well. You can try putting the cipher to 128 and try it.
Merlin would disagree with me and say its a routing conflict because of the same subnets.
But when you try one at 128 and the other at 256 because they use different cipher you can get away on their servers because they probably don't use the same subent.
To fix your problem, you don't need to re flash your router. Get another VPN provider and you will have no issues.
So long as you use the same company the chances of it working properly is slim.
I had it setup with 2 servers as well but it didn;t work right. sometimes it worked great and other time it never worked,
The best results where with blowfish encryption, I had 2 clients running without any issues. but I am not sure if that is supported from your provider.
The chances you and your friends are taking by using 2 clients from the same provider is that you can get a nasty conflict and leak your ISP IP address.
From many tests that I did it happened where it looked exactly like your configurations and only 1 client worked. when I got both or them to work all of a sudden I had my ISP IP instead of the VPN.
so I don't recommend using 2 connections simultaneously from the router. should you want to do that connect 1 client to your router and use the second connection from openvpn client Android, PC, iOS programs available. if you connect your second client and so on this way without using multiple connections from your router, you will be fine. Or do it the way I have it setup. Disable client one from the router and enable client 2 and there you have your multiple client connections :)

Hello Yorgi,

many thanks for your detailed reply. I have flashed the router again but the problem is the same. I tried additional an another VPN provider and it works. At the same provider multiple connections are not possible. Nevertheless I wrote an email to my first provider how can he solve the problem. I´m very excited of this reply. On another solution can be to use 2 accounts at the same provider, but it´s not safe if the configuration works. I heard that PP (Perfect Privacy) would be provided the simultan connections over their sever ?

BR,
Doctor Sox

Hello Yorgi,

many thanks for your detailed reply. I have flashed the router again but the problem is the same. I tried additional an another VPN provider and it works. At the same provider multiple connections are not possible. Nevertheless I wrote an email to my first provider how can he solve the problem. I´m very excited of this reply. On another solution can be to use 2 accounts at the same provider, but it´s not safe if the configuration works. I heard that PP (Perfect Privacy) would be provided the simultan connections over their sever ?

BR,
Doctor Sox
Its not safe to have both of them on at the same time. They maybe working great until one of the servers drops the connection and then it tries to re connect. if there is a conflict of subent then the router will crash and your IP address will be that of your ISP.
if you are downloading torrents or using it to hide your IP then its useless because even if you have block connections on, once the router crashes its all over.
so I strongly advise you to open and close the service as you need it or get another VPN provider and this way you will have 2 different providers therefore you can have 2 connections on at the same time without any issues.
I have a lot of experience with your problem and trust me this is the only resolution you can do.

Many thanks for your suggestion, but I wouldn´t pay for two providers...what do you think about Perfect Privacy ?
Do you know this provider from switzerland ?
You have surely right and the safety solution would be to use 2 different providers !
What do you mean because of block connection ?
Can I send you a PM ? I don´t see this function ?

Many thanks for your suggestion, but I wouldn´t pay for two providers...what do you think about Perfect Privacy ?
Do you know this provider from switzerland ?
You have surely right and the safety solution would be to use 2 different providers !
What do you mean because of block connection ?
Can I send you a PM ? I don´t see this function ?
In this forum private message is called conversation.
If its not a big deal and you are the only one using it then just use one at a time. Turn one connection on and the other off and vise versa.
only turn a client on when you want to connect to that server. this way you will save yourself some money.
unless you have multiple people in the network that use different servers then you are stuck by getting another service.

Hi yorgi,

I have found a solution for me. You can solve the problem with different protocol typs...now I use for client 1 TCP and for client 2 UDP...this cofiguration works great...but one thing is very important,

don´t switch the client´s for anonymus surfing ON/OFF when you have a secret internet connection...when you switch off you have the IP from your ISP...the blocking works only when the client´s are

in ON modus and your provider has problems with the connection...I´m very happy, that I have a solution for me, because I have a one year acc at my provider zorrovpn.com.

Many thanks for your great support, when you have further questions, or you need a promocode for zorro, please contact me...regards, SOX