What's new

How to verify QoS traffic app categories.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbrock47

Occasional Visitor
Adaptive QoS
Is there a process available to verify that traffic on my network is getting assigned to the correct "app category"? I want to make sure that the traffic is being classified correctly, so that if it is not, I can set up device priority to correct it. I have been unsuccessful at finding how this can be done.

Nobody? Basically, I would like to observe what category Adaptive QoS is classifying the traffic coming out of my router. I do not know how to view this.

It is going to be pretty hard to see traffic tagging within the ASUS firmware. The closest thing you can come to monitoring the app traffic is to enable App Analytics in the router firmware. You probably already know about this though and want more granular visibility and I would say your best bet is to use Wireshark or some other packet sniffer, but even then you would have to really pay close attention to the App Analytics graphs and pair them up with the packets showing on the sniffer at that time. Sorry if this isn't much help, but I think this is the best you're going to get. I will say that the ASUS firmware does a pretty good job separating out traffic categories as it beats out my old Streamboost DGL-5500 in this regard.

Yes, this is ultimately the only solution I've seen as well. Merlin says since analytics to determine app category are closed source, there really is no viability into that process, and you just have to trust that ASUS has it configured correctly. I ran a few tests, and sadly, ASUS was not perfect. Namely my Black Ops 3 multiplayer gaming from my Xbox One. It identifies that traffic as "General" which from what I gather, falls into the "Other" QoS category, one of the lowest priorities in the default configuration.