What's new

How would I go about bridging my two NIC cards?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CAPiTA

New Around Here
Currently, I have a file server attached to my PC with cat5e. The PC and file server are directly connected, without any router or hub. I have a wireless connection on the PC that links me with the rest of the network. I would like to be able to bridge the file server and PC connections using the Windows bridge tool. The problem is that I have to be very, very careful when bridging or I'll lose connection; the only way I can connect to this file server is through Remote Desktop.

My primary network IP range is from 172.16.22.1 - 172.16.22.150. I would like to keep my PC as 172.16.22.5 and the file server as 172.16.22.2.

Is this possible? Is there any IP settings I should be aware of before I go and bridge the connections?

Thanks

The problem is that I have to be very, very careful when bridging or I'll lose connection; the only way I can connect to this file server is through Remote Desktop.
What do you mean by this? How do you have to be "careful"?

Seems like you are doing things the hard way. Why not just invest in a switch and get the wireless out of the picture.

I second Scotty's remarks on the patch panel. Too many times I've gone in to resolve some problem, and it is aggravated because all the wiring is a rat's nest. Patch Panels go a long way to cleaning things up. Plus, if and when things change, having it on a patch panel makes things easier. If you've got a closet, put it on a panel. You could look into a little wall-mounted 6-8U rack, put your switch, router, patch panel, and anything else on it. Depending on what else you put in your closet, maybe get even more space.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!