What's new

HP 1810 48G VLANS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gigamat

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I am trying to set up a couple of vlans on this HP 1810 48G switch but am obviously doing something wrong.
The vlans work in that they are separated but they cannot connect to the internet or/and they do not get a valid ip address from the dhcp server (my router). If i delete the vlans then everything works again.

Lan network address is 192.168.0.0
router gateway is 192.168.0.1 DHCP range 100-199
switch is 192.168.0.254 static ip
all connected user devices are set to DHCP

vlan 1 default
1-47 E
48 U
49-52 E
vlan 2 fam
1-26 U
27-47 E
48 T
49-52 E
vlan 3 lab
1-26 E
27-47 U
48 T
49-52 U

The switch default gateway is set to 192.168.0.1
router switch
tp-link ------> HP ------> Devices
mr 3420 1810 48G
i followed this youtube video
Can anyone shed some light on what i might be doing wrong please.

I don't think that router supports 802.1q VLANs
In addition, even if it did, you need to set up a subnet for each VLAN.
eg.
192.168.1.x/24 for VLAN1
192.168.2.x/24 for VLAN2
192.168.3.x/24 for VLAN3

Edit:
If you do have a router that does not play nice with standard VLANs (eg tp-link er-6120), but does support port based VLANs you still have options.
Set up a port based VLAN untagged ports 1-20+47
Set up a port based VLAN untagged ports 21-40+48
connect the router's first port based VLAN to port 47 and the second to 48

Last edited:
Hi Cloud200

Thank you for the information.

I thought a benefit of using VLANS is to separate networks on the same subnet.

If a router supports 802.1q VLANS would I only need one connection between router and switch or would I still need three?

I am currently looking at the Ubiquity edge router ERLite-3 but it only has two lan ports available.

Thanks

I did look at the ErLite-3 earlier but it was harder to get where I am vs Netgear so I went with the Netgear FV336G. The Uniquity Edge does support 802.1q VLANS so a single cable should be all you need. Caveat - I know this from their spec sheet and asking them about it because that's one of my requirements.

Hi ekhoo

The Ubiquity seems good for the money, although it comes with a steep learning curve.

Thanks for the info

Hi Cloud200

Thank you for the information.

I thought a benefit of using VLANS is to separate networks on the same subnet.

If a router supports 802.1q VLANS would I only need one connection between router and switch or would I still need three?

I am currently looking at the Ubiquity edge router ERLite-3 but it only has two lan ports available.

Thanks

You only need 1 connection.
VLAN tagging allows multiple VLANs to travel along the same connection without interfering with each other.

what you were originally trying to do is called port based VLANs and sometimes private VLANs.
It prevents intercommunication between a group of ports while still allowing them to communicate with the specified uplink ports.

If you want a relatively cheap and easier to learn than ubiquiti for doing what you require, the linksys LRT214/LRT224 are pretty easy.
If you want something a little more robust in terms of configuration options at the expense of speed/cost/ease of use try zyxel's USG line of routers.
If you have the time and are willing to learn . . . go with the ubiquiti unit.

Last edited:
Also make sure you have the vlan names in the database of the switch and the port going to the internet/Router is tagged for all vlans that you want to have internet connection or you could just Trunk the internet port and then tag that trunk. I use a lot of Procurve switch 2824 and 2848. They are great switches. Also understand what one company call a trunk mode, may be call something else on a different brand of switch. For example: HP Procurve Trunk mode is passing all vlan traffic, but Dell Powerconnect switches calls it General Mode.

Good Luck

Hi

Thanks I am understanding it much better now after this brief conversation.

I think ill probably go with the Ubiquiti as I do want to learn and intend to start building a lab for this purpose.

I did look at trunks JerryD but was unsure at the time so did not want to attempt it and end up deeper in problems as the family are trying to use the internet while I fiddle :)

I am getting more and more involved with the network at work, where I have installed all the cat 6 cabling, built the rack, terminated the patch panels, patched the panels to the switch, programming the Avaya voip phones, upgraded the router to a Draytek Vigor 2860 (due to bt hub 3 drop outs) and have really been enjoying the experience. And to be honest everything seems to be getting networked these days, even products we sell which you would not expect on a network.

Anyway thanks you all very much for putting me on the right path and will hopefully speak again when the Ubiquiti arrives :eek: