What's new

HP LaserJet Pro P1102w via the USB Print Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DKEBeck88

Occasional Visitor
When I first moved to ASUSWRT Merlin a few years ago (from Tomato), I struggled a bit to get my LaserJet 1020 working (see here for details: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/laserjet-1020-on-rt-ac87u.19983/). I've been dealing with the inconvenience of manually loading the printer firmware each time we want to print pretty well, but now my toner has finally run out, and given how expensive toner is, for just a bit more money I could buy a new printer altogether that doesn't require the manual firmware loading.

Does anyone have any experience with the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w printer with ASUSWRT Merlin via the USB print server? Especially if you are running Linux on the computer you are printing from? I know it also has wireless printing, but I'd actually prefer to stick with USB printing (Amazon reviews all say the wifi printing is a bit iffy and especially difficult to set up with Linux). Alternatively, if anyone has another printer suggestion in my price/feature range (simple small footprint black-and-white single-purpose laser printer), I'm all ears.

why not buy a printer with ethernet and forget usb all together , or use wireless

etherway the router does not have compatibility issues with ether ethernet or wireless

Ditto+++. What's good about USB connection? Use wlreless or CAT5 connection to use as network
printer so anyone on the network can print. In my case, wireless multi function color laser is as reliable
as cabled connection. Really I don't bother with USB port at all whether it is on a router or PC.

I struggled with this lpr-via-usb implementation for months, if not years. Bought various USB cables, brand and not brand and such. Finally gave up and bought ethernet-capable printer. The struggle is over.

An alternative: print server, ~$20 on ebay.

To answer all of the questions in no particular order:
1) Why not get a printer with ethernet? Because the printers I've seen with actual ethernet are a bit pricier than the $95 USD I can get the printer in question for on Amazon.

2) Why not use the wifi on the printer in question? Because reviews indicate that the wifi printing on this particular printer is a bit spotty and quite complicated to set up as it assumes a Windows computer for the initial wireless connection setup. I'm not against using it, I'm just hoping to at least try to get the hardwired USB

3) General comments about inferiority of the USB setup? I guess some folks have had problems with setting up the USB print server on this router. I've never had a problem at all getting this type of setup working on either my current router via this firmware or my old router via Tomato. The only (and main) issue I've had is with the wonky need to upload a firmware file to the printer every time it is powered on or woken up from sleep. This is not an issue with the router, USB, or anything else - it is specific to the LaserJet 1018 and 1020. I've developed workarounds (hotplug script on Tomato, a bashrc alias with this firmware) so it hasn't been a big problem. But now I'm in the market for a cheap printer to replace my current (cheap) printer, and was just looking for feedback from anyone who may be using it.

I have the same printer and I have had it on wireless for 5.5 years. No issues once. I work in IT and see a lot of printers and I actually comment this is the most stable printer I have ever seen. When I press print it prints never no issues. I believe it is only wireless g so that is about the only downside.

HP printers - a bit of a headache - esp. with networking - big thing is to fix them to a static IP, and ensure that they not dynamic and in a DHCP network, that IP is out of the DHCP scope - then they generally work ok across different platforms...

Dynamic addressing on them can raise heck with one's network...

Old-school JetDirect firmware with plenty of stuff piled on top of that stack...

Does anyone have any experience with the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w printer with ASUSWRT Merlin via the USB print server?
I have an 1102w and an AC68U and I cannot, under any circumstances, get it to work via lpd/lpr. And I tried pretty hard. Works fine via wireless network interface though.

I have an 1102w and an AC68U and I cannot, under any circumstances, get it to work via lpd/lpr. And I tried pretty hard. Works fine via wireless network interface though.

I got my HP working for Linux using the IPP daemon inside the EWS - works fine with CUPS...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!