What's new

I am trying to understand vlans

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davekstl

Regular Contributor
I have 45 devices on my LAN using a GT-AX11000 router with 3 Asus access points. I want to separate the network for the security wired and Wi-Fi devices from the entertainment devices from the productivity devices. I do not know much about vlans, but I am thinking this is the way to go, multiple networks. Is this a vlan application?
My Asus GT-AX11000 does not support vlan. What are my options in concept? A vlan router, a managed switch,...? But a managed switch does not control wifi, correct?
So before I pull out the credit card and go to the store, I want to be sure I know what I am doing.
I can use some advice.
Dave

1703705189894.png

Seems like you have the difficult part accounted for i.e. you have existing wiring in your house ? Knowing that, your options are as follows:
  1. Purchase a PfSense appliance which will serve as your firewall and router combo
  2. Purchase VLAN aware switches like Netgear GS308E
  3. You can put your WIFI on a separate VLAN, Asus' AI MESH will work in this setup
  4. Just note that consumer grade Asus Routers like the ones you have are not VLAN aware i.e. you will not be able to transmit different SSIDs for different VLANs
  5. Technically you can put wired devices on a different VLANs
  6. You can also put different access points on different VLANs and then transmit them on different frequencies such as VLAN1 on 2.4GHZ and VLAN2 on 5GHZ
Hopefully this gives you a start.

Thank you for the start.
Is pfsense a product name?
Could I purchase a GT-AX11000 Pro router? Would that get me there?
Thank you.
Dave

Thank you for the start.
Is pfsense a product name?
Could I purchase a GT-AX11000 Pro router? Would that get me there?
Thank you.
Dave
PfSense is open source firewall; you can buy either a Netgear appliance which will cost you more, or buy something like Protectli

I am not sure if the pro version of the 11000 is a VLAN-aware router.