What's new

Solved I can't login to my new Syno with AiCloud — use DS File

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sky

Regular Contributor
Hi, all!

I've just replaced my now-dead 9-yo Drobo FS with a new Synology DS920+. I'm trying to setup the Syno's firewall (I have a user that seems to attract malware behind my router). AiCloud can "see" my network share on the Syno (Windows network, Syno using Btrfs) but the Syno won't allow me to login with AiCloud. The network share works fine locally on my Windows 10 desktops and laptops. At first I thought it was my Syno's firewall and I'd missed necessary ports — I am using AiCloud on iOS. But I've disabled the Syno firewall, closed the iOS app then reopened it and tried again. It can see the Syno share, but the Syno still won't let me login. Could this be because I'm logged into the Syno on my desktop? If so, that would mean I would have to disconnect my desktop from the Syno before I could use AiCloud.

Sky

Symptoms: AiCloud logs into AC87; populates LAN devices; allows selection of NAS; presents log-in screen for user into NAS; upon entering correct credentials "processing" twirler displays then presents log-in screen again. In trying port forwarding setup in AC87 I was able to lock myself out (fail earlier) but not able to get access

Tried | FAILED
  • Tweaked firewall on Syno | FAIL-no change
  • Disabled firewall on Syno | FAIL-no change (enabled after fail)
  • Enabled SMB 1 on Syno | FAIL-no change (SMB 2/3 were already enabled, left smb 1/2/3 enabled)
  • Disabled firewall again on Syno | FAIL-no change (enabled after fail)
  • Added a port forwarding profile using AiCloud's displayed values | FAIL-gloriously, later no change (turned off after fails)
  • Disabled firewall again on Syno | no change (enabled after fails & returned smb to 2/3)
Previously
  • AiCloud worked on Drobo FS with no special settings, no port forward needed
  • AiCloud 2 had some issues on Drobo FS (trashed photos, inconsistent performance), still no special settings needed
The Synology DS920+ is much more robust than the Drobo FS was, so I expected added complexity, but this issu has me stumped. Syno has no info about what AiCloud needs enabled to work, and ASUS Tech Support is MIA-COVID.

Sky

P.S. If you're considering a Syno NAS, their phone tech support in the USA is excellent.

Any Synology + Asus users out there?

I do use a Synology with a Asus networking for many years.
I can't really help because I have 0 ideas about AiCloud. Never used it and no plans to try it out.

What exactly you want to achieve? To access files on Synology? From mobile? Or from a laptop outside your LAN?

…What exactly you want to achieve? To access files on Synology? From mobile? Or from a laptop outside your LAN?
Thanks for the response. I'd kind of given up on this. What I was hoping to do was ul/dl to/from the NAS remotely outside the LAN from mobile &/or laptop. That's especially handy for transferring a ton of iPhone photos or dropping down those important-now-that-you're-on-vacation-3,000-miles-away documents. I can't get it to work. But honestly, it's been buggy since the 3rd or 4th fw update.

I was hoping the Syno mobile app could fill that bill, but I'm still fiddling when I get the time. Are you able to make this work with Syno's mobile app? If yes, that's pretty much the only encouragement I need to go noodle it and fish it out.

DS file is my friend on mobile. For my laptop I'm using DSM directly or Secure WebDAV.
Photo Sync is a longer story and depends what DSM version you're using. For latest DSM7 Beta there is Synology Photo that syncs the pictures all by itself.

It's totally possible and they do have an at least decent solution for all use-cases.

Noodler engaged

Are you able to use DS File without being logged onto the local network? Are you able to selectively choose individual/a group of photos to upload?

Are you able to use DS File without being logged onto the local network? Are you able to selectively choose individual/a group of photos to upload?
If the question is addressed to me than the answer is yes.
I can upload whatever I decide to upload wherever I am. I'm often doing that.
I don't find DS Find the best option to sync photos off my phone, but it can do that if that's what you're looking for.

If the question is addressed to me than the answer is yes.
I can upload whatever I decide to upload wherever I am. I'm often doing that.
I don't find DS Find the best option to sync photos off my phone, but it can do that if that's what you're looking for.
Oops — yes, the Q was for you. My apologies for the ambiguity. In DS File I can see the "photo backup" setup, but if I go to my photos in my iPhone I while I can pick and choose individual photos I seem to be unable to select DS File as an upload choice or see another way to put/copy them to the Syno. How do you do that? (versus backing up or syncing photos)

I'm not an Apple user so I can't share any experience.
I read it's different than Android but that's all I know.

I'm not an Apple user so I can't share any experience.
I read it's different than Android but that's all I know.
drabisan:

I've got this much working: Connect iPhone to the LAN, go to the DS file app > navigate to the desired folder > click the elipsis (…) at the upper right in the title bar of the app to expose the menu > choose "Upload" > "From albums" > pick photos and click "Add" at upper right.

This is working far better than AiCloud for uploading files and photos from the iPhone to the NAS. I still haven't managed to figure out how to do this remotely nor how to download photos to the photo album. The Syno photo app (moments?) may do what I want, but I really don't want to "synch" as much as I want to control what lives where.

AiCloud was basically broken long before the old NAS died. It was nice when it worked, but broken it was better just to let it die.

-----------------------

UPDATE 2021 06-13

The only way I can get DS File to work remotely is by using Syno's "connect.to". I don't know if this is because my ISP has taken to changing my assigned IP more frequently (they have) or if it's simply designed only to work with the connect.to service. But at least it works.

Thanks, @drabisan for the help!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!