What's new

I definitely should have planned my home network better.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zlamb

New Around Here
So I wandered over to this forum randomly and after reading a few threads realized I've probably got my networked jacked up. The image shows how it currently is, after reading a bit here I take it I need to get a better switch and plug my PC and NAS into that. The ATV, Nvidia, and PS4 are all in another room in the house so they have to go through the N66U AP.

Does that sound right?

http://imgur.com/KgT7QR7

Attachments

• jackedupnetwork.png
    jackedupnetwork.png
    88 KB · Views: 669
Are you having any performance or other issues?

I would suggest don't kill a working solution, no matter how inelegant it may seem. :)

When you're ready to take the next step though (with a budget), tell us what you want your new network to achieve that your current one doesn't and we'll all be here to help.

Right now, having the NAS and the PC (the two devices most likely to be used together, heavily) on the RT-AC68U switches is ideal.

To make it better will require a little or a lot of labour (depending how easy it will be to pull wires to a central location), a fair amount of cash and some knowledge to setup the network so that it works optimally for your expectations and uses.

Mostly everything works great. My HD homerun has had some issues lately. I had the N66U wired straight to the AC68U yesterday before I read a few threads here that made me think that was not correct? I also am not using STP.

I would always connect the AP directly to the main router if you have the option.

That would allow the devices on the RT-N66U a more direct connection to the internet without interfering or slowing down (depending on your ISP service level) the devices now connected to your switch.

Optimum setup of a network isn't just about hardware. It is also about grouping devices together intelligently that often communicate with each other in such a way, that the overall performance of the network is as high as possible.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/still-confused-about-switches.20955/#post-152238

The above link may give you further ideas with how you can optimize the network you now have.

Cool thanks! That was what made sense to me - plug whatever most critical things I can in to the main router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!